This Ravioli Pasta and Tomato Salad with Basil recipe is even better if you can make it ahead of time, giving the flavours plenty of time to blend together.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Feel free to vary the ingredients according to your tastes. If you don’t think your kids will like them, leave out the artichokes, olives and capers altogether – this will still be tasty with just tomatoes and basil. It would also be perfect for a picnic.
You May Also Enjoy 9 Simple Pasta Recipes For Kids
Ravioli Pasta and Tomato Salad with Basil
Adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison.
Serves 4 to 6
- 450g / 16oz cheese ravioli pasta or tortellini
- 1kg / 35oz ripe tomatoes
- 1 x 170g / 6 oz jar artichoke hearts, drained and halved (optional)
- 1 bunch basil, leaves torn into pieces
- 100g / 4oz olives, pitted and halved
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- red wine vinegar
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the ravioli.
- Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes. To do this, cut a shallow X in the bottom of each tomato with a sharp knife, then pour boiling water over them and leave until the skin around the X starts to curl away, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool, then slip off their skins. Deseed the tomatoes and chop them into large pieces.
- Put the tomatoes and artichokes in a large bowl along with the basil, olives, capers and oil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the ravioli or tortellini and cook according to the package instructions, then drain well.
- Add the pasta to the tomato mixture in the bowl and toss gently with a rubber spatula. Taste for salt, season with pepper and sprinkle with vinegar to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can find these recipes and more family favourites on the Dinner Du Jour blog, www.dinnerdujour.org.
Have your say! Did you try this recipe for ravioli pasta and tomato salad? Tell us in the comments below.