Mum – what’s for dinner? A familiar cry and one that sometimes makes you scratch your head! Fear not, we have put together a collection of 9 Simple Pasta Recipes for Kids, and bonus, they’re ready quickly!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
In our experience, kids love pasta, and so do parents because it’s usually quite quick to cook and have on the table in front of those hungry monsters. Here are some super quick and simple pasta recipes that are tried and tested on kids.
9 Simple Pasta Recipes For Kids
#1. Ham & Pea Pasta
This one is always a winner in my house, as everyone loves ham and peas. This is a simple one to do with some left over cooked ham from Sunday lunch.
- 200g of Fusilli Pasta
- 100g of frozen Petit Pois
- 150ml of Cream
- 150g of Ham
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 1 garlic clove
- Olive Oil
- 50g of Parmesan Cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on pack.
- 5 minutes into boiling add in the peas.
- When the pasta is cooked drain out the water.
- Put the pot back on the heat and add in the cream and chopped ham and warm through.
- To make the breadcrumbs blend the 4 slices of sandwich bread to make fresh bread crumbs.
- Then heat a little olive oil on a pan and add in the breadcrumbs, crushed garlic clove and grated parmesan.
- Cook for 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs are crisp.
To serve, place the pasta into a bowl and top with the delicious garlic breadcrumbs.
You might also like: Pasta with Bacon, Peas and Cream
#2. Tuna Pasta Salad
This recipe is a lovely fresh twist on a pasta salad from safefood.eu, full of colour and fresh ingredients.
You can serve it straight away or cool and use in the lunchboxes as a change from sandwiches. Adding lemon juice gives it a nice lift and you can add in lots of different veggies which is great for sneaking more veg in too.
You might also like: Portable potato salad
#3. Pasta with Smoked Salmon and Peas
Get some omega 3 in your child’s diet with this easy and delicious salmon pasta recipe from Wholefoodrepublic.com that you can throw together quickly. You’ll only need a package of smoked salmon, some creme fraiche, frozen peas and a few other ingredients to rustle this yummy dish up.
You may also like 50 Family Dinner Ideas
#4. Tuna Pasta Casserole
If you want an easy to prepare pasta dish that can be served up to a crowd this is a really quick one with a few simple ingredients.
You will need:
- 16oz pasta (any type)
- 1 and 1⁄2 cups grated cheese. Save 1⁄2 for sprinkling on top.
- 1 tin cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tin of tuna drained
- Preheat oven to 190C / 375F
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients in a large casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove and stir. Continue to bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is entirely melted.
- Stir and serve.
You may also like 8 Proven Family Dinner Ideas for Picky Eaters
#5. Tomato and Bacon Pasta
Loosely based on the Italian Amatriciana pasta recipe, this is one I make all the time for my kids.
- 250g bacon bits
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 packet of pasta, e.g. shells or penne
- Parmesan, grated
- Gently fry the bacon bits until they are starting to brown.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and a few basil leaves, bring to the boil then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile start the pasta water.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions.
- Drain the pasta and add to your bacon and tomato sauce.
- Serve with grated parmesan and a green salad.
You might also like Easy Back to School Dinner Recipes to save you time
#6. Pizza Pasta
This is easy to make and the kids will love it – anything with Pizza in the name!!
You will need:
- 400g of dry small pasta (penne or similar)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 jar tomato passata
- 60g of mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 350g of sour cream
- 150g cheddar or mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Black olives halved (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil, add the pasta and cook according to instructions.
- In a large pan, gently fry the onion then add the minced beef and brown over medium heat. Add tomato passata and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 175C / 350F
- Grease a large baking dish and layer as follows: 1/2 of the pasta, mozzarella slices, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining pasta, cheddar cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and some halved black olives (if the kids like them).
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.
#7. Home Made Macaroni Cheese
A firm favourite with most kids so why not go the healthier route and make the sauce yourself!
- 8 ozs of macaroni pasta
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup and 1 tsp butter
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch paprika
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux.
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick.
- Put macaroni in large casserole dish, and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt the tsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir until they are browning nicely. Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 175C / 350F for 30 minutes.
You might also like 20 Delicious Easy Recipes for Kids to Make
#8. Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
This is a nice creamy chicken pasta recipe that also has a little kick to it with cajun spice.
- 2 chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Olive oil
- 4 ounces linguine, cooked al dente
- 1 thinly sliced spring onion
- 1-2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil or some fresh basil chopped
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Place chicken and Cajun seasoning in a bowl and toss to coat.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté chicken in olive oil until chicken is tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook your linguine according to the instructions and drain.
- Reduce heat add spring onion, cream, tomatoes, basil and garlic. Season with salt & pepper and heat through.
- Add the cooked linguine, mix and top with some grated Parmesan cheese.
You might also like: 10 Go-To Family Dinner Ideas Every Parent Should Know
#9. Hearty Pasta Soup
Do something different with a pack of tortellini. This hearty pasta soup can be a wholesome lunch or dinner, and uses frozen peas & beans along with a packet of tortellini as the basis. It takes 5 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to cook.
Top with a sprinkling of Parmesan and serve with slices of garlic bread.
Over to you? Do you have any interesting and simple pasta recipes that your kids love? Let us know in the comments below.