Father’s Day – the day we celebrate Father’s everywhere, and tell them how much they mean to us. Do you know when Father’s Day originated, and where ? Here’s 10 Fun Father’s Day Facts You May Not Know!
10 Father’s Day Facts
1. Father’s Day originated in America. The first unofficial Father’s Day celebration was held in Spokane, Washington, on 19th June 1910.
2. The Father’s Day concept was invented by American Sonora Smart Dodd, from Washington State, whose father raised his 6 children single-handedly, after their mother died in childbirth. June was picked for Father’s Day, as that was his birthday month.
3. In most of the countries around the world, Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June. In Australia, the first Sunday of September is observed as Father’s Day, while Finnish people celebrate the festival on the second Sunday of November.
4. In Thailand, the King’s Birthday is National Father’s Day – currently this is 5th December.
6. There have been 2 sets of Father-Son Presidents of the USA – John Adams(2nd) and son John Quincy Adams(6th), and George Bush(41st) and his son George W. Bush(43rd).
7. In the seahorse world, it’s the male that gets to carry the eggs and birth the babies.
8. In 1998, British boy Sean Stewart, became youngest father in the world at 12.
9. in 2012, Indian man Ramjit Raghav became world’s oldest Dad when he fathered his second child at 96.
10. Greeting cards are number one gift item on Father’s Day, with most popular card being “Dad from Daughter”.
Father’s Day Song
You may also like 10 Fabulous Father’s Day Gift Ideas & a further 6 Father’s Day Gifts & 11 Picture Books that are Perfect for Father’s Day