Is your child into brick films? Do you think they would find it fun to make their own Lego stop motion movie? Here are 4 nifty apps for making the best stop motion lego movies. Who knows, you may have the next summer blockbuster in your hands…literally! “Everything is Awesome!”
What is brick filming?
Just in case you weren’t familiar with the term, brick films are stop-motion animation movies that are made using LEGO® bricks or similar construction toys.
Here are 4 different apps that your child can use to make a brick film:
#1. I Can Animate
Create stunning and exciting animation movies quickly and easily. With I Can Animate you can bring the art of creating stop-frame animations to your iOS devices and then share them for all to see.
I Can Animate has some really great features:
- Capture frames using either camera on your iOS device
- Displays onion skinning, so you can easily see the differences between frames you are capturing.
- Preview captured frames in the scrollable timeline.
- Adjust exposure, white balance and focus automatically or manually lock the settings.
- Duplicate & Reorder frames
- Review last five frames and preview whole project
- Undo support
- Capture automatically using the inbuilt time lapse feature
- Standard & Widescreen display
- Change playback speed
- Connect a bluetooth keyboard and capture frames without returning to or tapping the device (iOS7+)
- Share movies.
Cost: €2.99 / £2.29 / $2.99
Clayframes is easy to use and has a good set of professional features for making stop-frame animation (or claymation) and time-lapse movies.
Clayframes Lite is the free trial version, it’s worth trying this out before you buy the full version to confirm it is compatible with your Android device.
Clayframes includes these features:
- Mp4 video exporter for Android 4.3 and higher. Plays with built-in Android player.
- AVI video exporter and player.
- Onion-skinning (transparent overlay) for smooth movement. Align the current shot with the previous one.
- Preview Loop: Review your movie as you shoot it! Make fast progress without stopping to review.
- Trigger camera shutter remotely using a hand clap or the phones proximity sensor. Avoids camera shake.
- Timed shutter release option for time-lapse movies. Any interval from 1 second to 1 hour.
- Add audio using the microphone on your device. Record your own vocals, effects or soundtrack.
Cost: €2.39 / £1.99 / $2.39
#3. StopMotion Studio
Want to create movies like Wallace and Gromit or those groovy Lego shorts on YouTube? Then this is one app you might like to try.
Use Stop Motion Studio to create fun stop action movies with the following features:
- Overlay mode to show you the differences between frames for precise control
- Grid mode to position animated objects more easily
- Ability to use the volume button on your device to capture images
- Integrated movie editor with frame-by-frame preview at different speeds
- Cut, copy, paste, delete and insert frames at any position
- Automatically capture frames with an adjustable time interval feature
- Zoom in and out on the timeline view so you never get lost, even if you have hundreds of frames
- Fade your movie in or out for a professional look
It also has parental controls to manage access which is handy.
#4. Lapse It
Here are some of the features the free app offers
- Capture shots using your camera
- Import pre-recorded videos to speed them up or slow them down
- Auto and manual modes for controlling exposure, focus, ISO and white balance
- Use any song from your library as the sound track of your video
- Speed up your time lapse with millisecond precision up to 240x
- Camera zoom includes even a zoom ramping over time
- More than 50 filters, including the amazing Tilt-Shift effect
- Share directly to Instagram, YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo and many others
- Tons of post-capture options including trimming, adding timestamp, square mode, backwards playback and more
- Stop motion with onion skin and touch-less photo snaps
- Schedule the capture to start and stop automatically
Cost: Free or the Pro version is €2.99 / £2.39 / $2.99 which gives even more features
Finally, keep an eye out on the Apple Store for the LEGO Movie Maker App, it’s currently not listed at time of writing, but if it does become available again, then this fun (and free) kid-friendly app is ideal for creating a custom stop-motion movie.
Over to you now. Is your child into brick films? Have they tried making a stop motion lego movie? Tell us your experience in the comments below.