Are you looking for Christmas gifts to make with the kids for friends and family? These add a lovely personal touch to Christmas, and the kids are usually so proud of what they make! From the super easy to the slightly more challenging, here are some fantastic homemade Christmas gift ideas for kids to make.
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Let your creativity loose with these fantastic ideas which are great to give, but also lots of fun to make!
From Christmas baubles and decor to photo and personalised items, these homemade Christmas gift ideas are a wonderful way to show just how you feel about the recipient.
You May Also Enjoy 20 Homemade Christmas Decorations for the Kids to Make
We Love These Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas
#1. Orange Pomander
A Christmas pomander, or cloves in orange, is a very seasonal scented decoration for older children to make as a gift – and they are very easy to make. All you need are cloves and oranges, it’s that simple.
Create a pattern or make your own design – and each one made can be unique. Leave them to dry in cool/dark place for about a week after making them, to prevent them from moulding.
#2. Scented Bath Salts
Essential oils, e.g. Vanilla, peppermint, rosemary, lavender
- Make sure your jars are clean and dry.
- You can decorate the jar and lid before filling, e.g. stick ribbon round the lid or use glue and glitter.
- Make the base mixture from equal parts of Epsom salts and baking soda. First add your colouring, blending it with your hands (remember the rubber gloves!) until the colour is evenly spread, then add the essential oils. Fill each jar with bath salt mixture.
- Decorate the labels and write instructions, e.g. “Sprinkle bath salts before filling your tub for a luxurious bath treat” before sticking onto the jar.
#3. Decorated Picture Frame
Photo frames will always be appreciated by friends and relatives, and are easy to make, so ideal for the kids
Plain wooden picture frame
Stones, shells, glitter, etc.
- Paint wooden frame and leave to dry.
- Stick on stones, shells, glitter with glue or paint a poem or message along the sides.
#4. Reindeer Thumbprint Ornaments
We love these Reindeer thumbprint ornaments from Little Bit Funky which are also super quick to make.
The kids will enjoy creating these decorations and hanging them on the tree, but they would also make a lovely present for teacher/grandparents.
#5. Bulbs in a Pot
- Clay flowerpot
- Samples of Emulsion paint
- Bulbs e.g. mini daffodils
- Ribbon to decorate
- Decorate the clay flowerpot using emulsion paint.
- Once dry, apply two coats of varnish, drying in between.
- Fill with compost and a few bulbs.
- Tie ribbon round to decorate.
#6. Cookie in a Jar
We love the idea of giving a Cookie in a Jar – and it’s the perfect homemade gift to give to neighbours, teachers, friends and family. The recipient can then keep the jar for whenever they’re wanting a shortcut to homemade cookies or the craving hits!
Check out these M&M cookie jars from I Heart Naptime – you can get the recipe and the printable label there. The Christmas colours are perfectly seasonal, but you could also swap in the recipient’s favourite chocolate.
You May Also Enjoy 10 Easy Homemade Food Gifts for Kids to Make
#7. Winter Terrariums
These homemade winter terrariums are a great winter activity from Babble Dabble Do and would make lovely homemade Christmas gift idea.
These are created with salt, animals, pebbles and moss. For Christmas you could add some some fir trees and some Christmas figurines.
#8. Scented Hand Scrub
- Coarse Sea salt
- Base oil, e.g. unscented massage oil
- Essential oils, e.g. Vanilla, peppermint, rosemary, lavender
- Add the base oil to the salt a bit at a time until it is a grainy mess.
- Then add a few drops of essential oil.
- Decorate the labels, writing instructions e.g. “To use, rub this scrub into your hands then rinse off” .
- Stick labels onto the jar.
#9. Personalised Snow Globe
Homemade snow globes are relatively easy to master and can be created with plastic figures and decorations added to a jar filled with water, glycerine and glitter.
…but we absolutely love this personalised photo snow globe from Our Best Bites which would make a lovely gift for grandparents!
#10. Handprint Tree Apron
This festive handprint apron from Makes and Takes is such a simple idea, but makes a fun personalised gift.
All you will need is a plain white apron and some fabric paint to make lots of handprints of all sizes.
You May Also Enjoy 12 Jolly Christmas Gift Tag Ideas To Make With The Kids
Have you made any of these, or do you have ideas for any Christmas Homemade Gifts?
Leave a comment below and let us know – we would love to hear from you!