Why not put together your own pizza mini-garden? Perfect for the kids to help with and get them growing! Here’s how to grow your own Pizza Garden.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Getting Started With Growing Your Own Pizza Garden
Even though it may not feel like it yet due to the unpredictable nature of the weather here in Ireland but Spring is well and truly underway! There is a definite stretch in the evenings and it is getting longer with each passing week.
This is a time of year when a lot of people are busy setting out their gardens and vegetable patches for the planting season. There is a lot of work to be done in preparing your garden and it is an activity that your whole family can get involved in. It is a great way for kids to learn about how things grow and it will give your family a source of food that will taste extra special.
Many people get stuck when deciding what to grow. You can start off small by setting a small herb garden on a windowsill using some pots, soil and some herb seeds such as basil, thyme, dill or even rosemary. These are fairly straight forward to grow, just follow the instructions on the seed packet and you will be enjoying home grown herbs in no time.
Grow Some Easy Pizza Ingredients
If you are not sure what to plant in your garden I would recommend thinking about what foods your family like to eat most in the summer and try and grow some of the ingredients in those foods. If like mine they like pizza then a pizza garden is in order! Most kids enjoy eating what they have grown (even if they profess to hating the particular item if they have grown it that makes a difference somehow!)
What You’ll Need To Grow Your Own Pizza Garden
- A circular raised bed that is about 4 ft in diameter or put an old children’s pool/plastic sand pit to good use and use it as your garden. It is an easy way for your kids to identify their garden and what they need to look after.
- Planting soil and a little compost if you have a compost bin, if not you can always use some fertiliser.
- Your plants: the herbs mentioned above will grow here as well as indoors but we also suggest growing some Onions, Peppers, Eggplant, Courgette or whatever toppings you like on your pizzas!
You may also enjoy – Making Your Own Pizza With the Kids Using Our Basic Pizza Dough Recipe
What To Do
- Fill your “garden” with some soil and add the compost/fertiliser. Be sure to mix thoroughly. Get the children to rake it over with their trowels.
- Plant your seeds according to the instructions on the packet.
- The final step is to water.
Get the kids to check if the plants have grown and then to keep the soil moist by watering and checking for weeds regularly.
Before you know it your family will be enjoying home grown vegetables from very little effort and they will definitely taste the difference!
Over to you now. Do you have any tips for planting family gardens or have you grown your own pizza garden? Please let us know in comments below.