Here is a very simple but fun activity to do with your child that might bring back a few memories too for you! Here’s How to Make a Fortune Teller out of Paper:
You Will Need
How to Make a Paper Fortune Teller
1. Take a sheet of paper. If you don’t have square paper, then fold the bottom left hand corner up to the right hand side and crease along the fold.
2. Cut along where you folded to make a triangle that folds back out into a square.
3. Fold each corner in to meet in the middle. It will look a bit like an envelope.
4. Flip the square over. Fold each corner in to meet in the middle.
5. Take a pen and write the numbers 1-8 on each triangle.
6. Open up the inside flaps and write a fortune on each triangle inside. Be as creative and funny as you can be! (e.g. You will marry a prince with 2 heads)
7. Turn over the fortune teller one more time and either colour the 4 squares different colours or write the colour names (in their colour) e.g. Blue, Red, Green etc.
8. Insert one thumb and finger behind two of the square flaps and gently push the fortune teller out, insert the other thumb and finger behind the other two squares until your points meet in the middle and it opens and closes a bit like a frog’s mouth.
9. Ask the other person to choose a colour. Count out the letters of their chosen colour as you open and close the fortune teller alternative ways.
10. Ask them to pick one of the numbers that shows. Count out as you open and close the fortune teller alternately again.
11. Ask them to pick a final number. Peek behind that flap and tell them their fortune!
Inspired by the book Up, Up and A Play, written by blogger and mum Mary Rose Keane.
Over to you now. Have you tried making fortune tellers? Tell us how you got on in the comments below!