In Leitrim we are very fortunate to have the options of sea, river, woodlands, hills and mountain walk ways. Here are some of our favourite walks in Leitrim:
Fowleys Falls in Rossinver
Fowleys Falls has a trail that is perfect for the pre-schoolers. Not too long, yet you feel you are a million miles from anything. The Trail goes very close to the loud river and falls and has picnic tables at one end, perfect for a break too!
Sliabh An Iarainn Hill Walks
For the families with older kids try the Sliabh An Iarainn Hill Walks. Aghacashel, the starting point for most of the walking trails, is situated between Drumshanbo and Ballinamore.
Carrick on Shannon Slí Walking Route
An easy one by the river in Carrick is the Carrick on Shannon Slí Walking Route – 5.5km and starts near the bridge, opposite the remains of the Castle Carrickdrumruske. This is a lovely walk along by the river in parts.
Walking Wild Ireland
For families with older kids try Walking Wild Ireland’s brochure for walks in Leitrim & Roscommon
And when walking with the kids don’t forget:
- Snacks and drinks
- Tissues/baby wipes and a few plasters are always handy
- Weather appropriate clothing- wellies/rain macs/hats/scarves/swimming gear/sun protection…
- And maybe a change of clothes for emergencies
- Net for fishing/catching butterflies, buckets and spades
- Box/bag for treasures like feathers/shells/leaves etc
- A packet of sweets (kept secret in your pocket) can prove invaluable towards the end of a long walk in order to bribe the children to keep plodding on back to the car!
- For a really fun Nature Walk with the kids, the road LESS travelled is your best bet in our opinion! There are lots of exciting things to do – here are some of our faves
Do you have a favourite place to go for a family walk in Leitrim? Share it with us in the comments below.