Registered dietitian and mum of three Aoife Hearne shares her recipe for Hawaiian-style chicken fingers and sweet potato wedges – a great family-friendly meal that the kids will really enjoy!
Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets or goujons? It’s a guilty pleasure for all of us, parents and children! So this homemade recipe for Hawaiian-style chicken fingers is one the whole family will definitely enjoy. Paired with sweet potato wedges, it’s a healthier choice that will take any feelings of guilt off the table!
Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and Sweet Potato Wedges
For the chicken fingers:
- 350g chicken breast, cut into 3” strips
- 10g sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup Flahavan’s Super Oats (60g)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large egg
For the dipping sauce:
- 30ml Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lime
For the sweet potato wedges:
- 200g sweet potato
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 100g lettuce
- Sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix the sweet chilli sauce, mayonnaise and lime juice.
- Spread the coconut on a baking tray and place in the oven, stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Transfer coconut to a dish, allow to cool slightly.
- Now add Flahavan’s Super Oats, paprika and 2 tsp oil.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Place 1 tsp oil on a baking sheet.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg, coat with coconut mixture and place on baking tray.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown or cooked though.
- Peel, chop and boil sweet potato for 10-12 mins.
- Place on baking dish with 1 tsp oil on dish and 1 tsp of oil sprinkled over chunks, then cook for 20-30 mins.
- Serve the Hawaiian-style chicken fingers with sweet potato wedges and salad.
Aoife’s Top Tips
Aoife and Flahavan’s have teamed up to show you how to incorporate oats, a budget-friendly and healthy super food, into your family’s diet. Don’t miss Aoife’s expert tips for feeding your family nutritiously and how a healthy breakfast for kids can really affect their mood!
Credit: Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and Sweet Potato Wedge recipe and image extracted from Aoife Hearne’s cookbook The Plan: Eat Well, Lose Weight, Transform Your Life, published by Gill Books.