Registered dietitian and mum of three Aoife Hearne shares her recipe for Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and sweet potato wedges – a great family-friendly meal that the kids will really enjoy!
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and Sweet Potato Wedges
For the chicken fingers:
- 350g chicken breast, cut into 3” strips
- 10g sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup Flahavan’s Super Oats (60g)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large egg
For the dipping sauce:
- 30ml Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lime
For the sweet potato wedges:
- 200g sweet potato
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
For the salad:
- 100g lettuce
- Sliced tomato
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Mix the sweet chilli sauce, mayonnaise and lime juice.
- Spread the coconut on a baking tray and place in the oven, stir occasionally until golden brown.
- Transfer coconut to a dish, allow to cool slightly.
- Now add Flahavan’s Super Oats, paprika and 2 tsp oil.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Place 1 tsp oil on a baking sheet.
- Dip chicken pieces into egg, coat with coconut mixture and place on baking tray.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden brown or cooked though.
- Peel, chop and boil sweet potato for 10-12 mins.
- Place on baking dish with 1 tsp oil on dish and 1 tsp of oil sprinkled over chunks, then cook for 20-30 mins.
- Serve the Hawaiian-style chicken fingers with sweet potato wedges and salad.
You May Also Enjoy 25 Super Scrummy Easy Chicken Recipes
Aoife’s Top Tips
Aoife and Flahavan’s have teamed up to show you how to incorporate oats, a budget-friendly and healthy super food, into your family’s diet. Don’t miss Aoife’s expert tips for feeding your family nutritiously and how a healthy breakfast for kids can really affect their mood!
You May Also Enjoy 10 Quick & Easy Overnight Oats Recipes That Kids Will Love
Credit: Hawaiian-Style Chicken Fingers and Sweet Potato Wedge recipe and image extracted from Aoife Hearne’s cookbook The Plan: Eat Well, Lose Weight, Transform Your Life, published by Gill Books.