Looking for a delicious treat that the kids can help make and bake? These Blueberry Crumb Bars are super easy to mix up and super scrummy warm from the oven!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
This recipe has been adapted from SmittenKitchen.com, and would be also be delicious for breakfast or to go in lunchboxes. These would also work equally as well with other fruits. Using a food processor to make the dough makes this even easier to pull together.
Blueberry Crumb Bars
This recipe makes approx. 36 small rectangles
- 300g / 10.5oz caster sugar
- 425g / 15oz all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 225g / 8oz cold butter, diced
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 teaspoons cornflour
- 600g / 21oz fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F. Grease a 9×13-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 2/3 of the sugar with the flour and baking powder. Mix in the salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. The dough will be crumbly. (Alternatively, briefly whizz the sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a food processor to just combine.)
- Add the butter and egg and blend until a crumbly dough is formed. Pat half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, cornflour and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares (they will cut even easier if you chill them in the fridge), though cutting just a few crumbly ones still warm from the oven will do no harm to the rest of the pan.
You can find these recipes and more family favourites on our blog, www.dinnerdujour.org.
You May Also Enjoy Start Your Day With These Delicious Blueberry Muffins
Have your say! Did you try these blueberry crumb bars? Let us know how you got on in the comments below.