Are you on the lookout for new family dinner ideas that the kids will enjoy? Instead of buying chicken goujons, try this recipe for delicious homemade chicken goujons – they’ve gone down a treat in our house!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
I confess I’m a “recipe hunter”. Every magazine or newspaper with a Food section that I come across, I always look over for new ideas for dinner for the family. This recipe has been tried and tested in our house and it’s been thumbs up each time I’ve made it.
The great thing about making these homemade chicken goujons (or fish fingers or a big batch of chicken nuggets for a kids party) is that you can get your child involved in the prep. It’s a little messy, but fun for them to feel the ingredients. Just remember to wash hands before and after handling the chicken.
This recipe also has a delicious yoghurt-based honey mustard dip to accompany the chicken and top the dish off – yum!
Do You Meal Plan?
Learn how to create a plan with our top tips and download your FREE weekly meal planner!
Delicious Homemade Chicken Goujons Recipe
For the goujons:
- 500g chicken strips or chicken breast fillets cut into strips
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1-2 eggs, for coating the chicken
- 250-300g Panko breadcrumbs
- A sprig of fresh rosemary, finely chopped (you can leave this out if your family really isn’t fond of it, but it does add a nice flavour)
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Spray oil
For the honey mustard sauce:
- 2 tbsp yoghurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
For the Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1-3 sweet potatoes, depending on their size (and how many sweet potato fries you want to serve)
- 1 tbsp fine cornmeal or polenta
- Spray oil
- Salt and pepper
- First get all your dipping bowls ready. I use 3 pasta bowls – one for the flour, one for the egg, and one for the breadcrumb mixture.
- In the first one, place the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- In the second bowl, beat the egg. I usually start with 1 egg and see if it’s enough.
- In the third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, ground almonds, chopped rosemary, parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Spray a baking sheet with the oil and put it aside ready for the goujons.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F. Have some warm soapy water ready to dip messy hands into.
- Dip 3-4 chicken strips in the flour to coat them. Then dip in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Using one hand for the dry ingredients and one hand for the egg helps you avoid getting too sticky, although you will end up with messy hands so don’t worry too much about it. Make sure the strips are well coated in each of the 3 coverings as each one helps the next stage.
- Place your goujons onto your baking tray, and do another 3-4 until they are all coated.
- Cut your sweet potatoes into thin fries. Spray with some oil and season them, then put them onto a baking tray. Sprinkle the polenta or cornmeal over the chips, which will help crisp them up a bit.
- Bake the goujons and sweet potato fries in the oven for 40 minutes, turning after 15-20 minutes. Check after 30 minutes as it depends on your oven and the thickness of the chicken, but mine usually take about 40 minutes total.
- Serve with a green salad.
You May Also Enjoy 25 Super Scrummy Easy Chicken Recipes
Do you ever make homemade chicken goujons? Have you tried this recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!