My two kids are not big fans of liver or sardines, two of the foods that are naturally rich in Vitamin D, so making sure they get enough is sometimes a challenge. Here are some Easy Recipes to Boost the Family’s Vitamin D that I’ll be trying out:
These recipes have been provided by Avonmore Super Milk, a 250ml glass of Avonmore Super Milk provides 100% of the reference intake of 5 micrograms of Vitamin D per day. But sometimes my kids are not keen on drinking a whole glass of milk either, so these recipes are a potentially good way to get more Vitamin D into them.
Read our article on How to Get More Vitamin D Into Your Child for facts and tips on Vitamin D.
Forest Fruit Smoothie
- 250ml Avonmore Super Milk
- 100g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 100g blueberries
- 100g raspberries
- 1 banana, chopped
Serves: 2, Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Add the Avonmore Super Milk to the blender.
- Next add the strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and banana.
- Blend on full power until creamy.
- Pour into serving glasses.
- Top with extra fruit if you like and serve.
- 35g rolled oats
- 100ml Avonmore Super Milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Serves: 1, Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small glass jar.
- Stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Top with fresh berries and flaked almonds the next morning and serve.
- 700ml Avonmore Super Milk
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 350g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 175g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 50g coarse white breadcrumbs
Serves: 4, Preparation Time: 10 minutes, Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Add the Avonmore Super Milk, onion, garlic and bay leaf to a small saucepan. Heat gently until almost boiling.
- Remove from the heat, cover with a lid and leave to infuse for 10 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni in a large pot of boiling water. This will take about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 5.
- To make a roux melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour, then cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute on a low heat.
- Add the warm infused milk to the roux and whisk until smooth. Simmer for 4 minutes, whisking often.
- Remove the pan from the heat, then add the cheddar and mustard. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni and stir well to combine.
- Tip the mix into a baking dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan and breadcrumbs over the top, then bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
Strawberry Panna Cotta
- 3 gelatine leaves
- 450ml double cream
- 200ml Avonmore Super Milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1½ tsp cornflour
- 50g caster sugar
Serves: 6, Preparation Time: 15 minutes, Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Place the gelatine leaves in a small bowl of cold water to soften. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Pour the cream, Avonmore Super Milk and caster sugar into a saucepan.
- Heat gently over a medium heat until until hot but not boiling.
- Add the softened gelatine leaves to the saucepan and stir until dissolved.
- Add the vanilla extract and leave to stand for 30 minutes until cooled.
- Pour into serving glasses, then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Add the strawberries, cornflour and sugar to a saucepan.
- Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Top the panna cottas with strawberry mixture and chill until ready to serve.
Over to you now. Have you tried any of these recipes? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.