Simple is the order of the day with this delicious Pasta Fagioli recipe, a classic family favourite. Plenty of flavour is wrapped up in this budget-friendly and vegetarian family meal that feeds a crowd easily.
Feel free to adjust the amount of pasta, basil and Parmesan to your family’s preferred taste. If adding additional pasta, you may need to increase the amount of broth.
Pasta Fagioli Recipe
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 x 400g can cannellini or kidney beans, rinsed well and drained
- 150g macaroni pasta
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook the garlic, stirring until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the stock, tinned tomatoes, dried oregano and dried basil and bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork.
- Add the beans, pasta, 2 tablespoons fresh basil and the Parmesan and boil, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. (The pasta will continue to absorb liquid.)
- Stir in the remaining basil and season to taste. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve immediately.