- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 x 400 g can tinned tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 x 400 g can cannellini or kidney beans, rinsed well and drained
- 150 g macaroni pasta (or tubetti or ditalini if you can find it)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook the garlic, stirring until fragrant, for about 30 seconds.
Stir in the stock, tinned tomatoes, dried oregano and dried basil and bring to a boil, breaking up the tomatoes with a fork.
Add the beans, pasta, 2 tablespoons fresh basil and the Parmesan and boil, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. (The pasta will continue to absorb liquid.)
Stir in the remaining basil and season to taste. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil and serve immediately.
What did you think of this recipe? Let us know in the comments below.