There is something so comforting about this pasta with bacon, peas and cream recipe from Kristin and Kelly at Dinner Du Jour – it’s a great speedy one to cook up when you’re short of time and hungry kids are clamouring.
While this recipe is adapted from the one in Feast by Nigella Lawson, in her book The Dinner Lady, Jeanette Orrey makes a version of this where instead of the cream and Parmesan, you could add 300g grated cheddar cheese and 100ml milk to the drained pasta at the end, stirring until the cheese has melted.
Pasta with Bacon, Cream and Peas
- 400g farfalle (bow ties) or other short pasta
- 200g frozen peas
- 225g bacon, diced (or use leftover diced ham)
- 300ml double cream
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra to serve
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions in plenty of boiling salted water. After 5 minutes, add the peas to the pasta to cook them together in the one pot.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a separate pan until crispy. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain along with the peas. Put the pot back on the heat with the bacon, cream and Parmesan. Stir well and warm it through. Add the drained pasta and peas back to the pan and toss everything together. Season to taste and serve with extra Parmesan grated on top.