There are some great playgrounds in Kilkenny. Some are modern adventure playgrounds with great swinging and climbing equipment, while others are smaller neighbourhood playgrounds with more modest equipment that will entertain the kids for a little while. Most of them cater for children up to 12 or 14 years old. Here are some of our favourite playgrounds in Kilkenny:
Playground at Castle Park – Only a couple of years old, this playground in the grounds of Kilkenny Castle is very colourful and has lots of swinging and climbing equipment to keep kids of all ages busy. There are plenty of benches too for the adults. It can get quite busy at times but the children love it! The playground’s opening hours correspond with those of the Castle Park, which vary according to the season and are posted at the entrance gates.
Newpark Close – Located across from the Newpark Fens on Lover’s Lane (off the Castlecomer Road) in Kilkenny, this community playground has plenty of equipment providing fun for all ages.
- Garringreen – Community playground located within a five-acre park with a soccer pitch, multi-use games area, cycle lane and footpaths.
- Talbot’s Court Playground is a small neighbourhood playground at Talbot’s Court on the Freshford Road.
- The Fr. McGrath Centre on St. Joseph’s Road has a playground with a wide variety of swings, climbing frames, etc.
Graiguenamanagh – This playground in Fair Green is filled with lots of timber equipment. It is divided into two sections with the smaller equipment on one side and the larger equipment for the older kids on the other side. There is also a large sand pit which seems to keep children of many ages happy for quite some time! There are some benches and picnic tables also.
Thomastown – In a lovely setting beside the library on Marshes Street, this playground has a good variety of timber equipment to keep most kids happy. There are plenty of benches and picnic tables too!
- Ballyhale has a small neighbourhood playground located at Station Road, Ballyhale.
Castlecomer – This playground within the grounds of the Discovery Park (but open to the public) is based on a coal-mining theme with plenty of adventure equipment for children of all ages.
- Callan – Located at Fair Green, this playground has lots of equipment suitable for children up to age 14. It is located next to sports pitches and a multi-use games area.
- Mullinavat has a small neighbourhood playground next to the handball alley on the Main Street. It contains mainly swings but has some benches too.
- There is a small community playground also at Blackthorn Hills in Ferrybank.
If you have a favourite playground in Kilkenny – big or small – let us know in the comments below