Are you looking for fun family things to do in Ireland this Halloween? This is our spookiest ever roundup of Family Events and Things To Do With Kids Around Ireland At Halloween!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
2020 Update – many places are still deciding if they will open this year. We will try to keep this article up to date as we hear, but please check the website or facebook page of any place you are planning to visit before you travel.
Halloween is the perfect time to enjoy some fun together as a family. Whether you plan on staying local or want to have a mini-break, there is loads to do around Ireland this Halloween.
Things To Do Around Ireland At Halloween
Although we have divided this up into a county by county article, many of the events taking place are online so do check all the counties to have some fun online adventures this Halloween mid-term.
You will be spoiled for choices of things to do in Dublin this Halloween 2020 with everything from:
Halloween at National Museum’s Of Ireland, Dublin
Don’t forget to check out the Free Halloween Events and Workshops at the 3 National Museum of Ireland sites, Collins Barracks, Merrion Square and Kildare Street. Tickets to visit the museum’s must be booked online in advance. You can find out more here.
In the event that the museum’s are closed, check out their online activities here.
Halloween at Leisureplex, Dublin
Leisureplex adventure centres are open and look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends during the Halloween break for some bowling, quasar and adventure play. All centres are adhering to government safety guidelines, so it is a good idea to check the website for booking information for your preferred venue.
Junior Einsteins STEM Themed Halloween Camps, Dublin, Meath, Wexford
Dates: Sunday 25th October to Saturday 31st October, from 9am to 2pm
Junior Einsteins have fun one day Halloween Themed STEM camps in locations across Dublin, Meath & Wesford. Suitable for ages 6 to 12 years and they can enjoy creating vampire blood, witches snot, freaky fossils, squelchy eyes & slime monsters!
Halloween Camps at Alliance Française, Dublin
Alliance Française Halloween School Holiday Camps take place during the mid-term break. There are 4 classes to choose from:
- Halloween Camps for 4 to 6 year olds
- Halloween Camps for 7 to 10 year olds
- Teen Revision Workshops for Junior Cert Students
- Teen Revision Workshops for Leaving Cert Students
Younger children will learn French through arts & crafts, songs, games, and many more spooky activities!
For the teen workshops the focus is on preparation for the French Oral and mock exams to prepare for the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert and the courses are designed to the requirements of the certificates’ syllabus.
All classes are be led by qualified and child-friendly French-native teachers. Classes this year may be online. All children are welcome, whatever their level of French!
Halloween at Dublinia, Dublin
Halloween is always a good time to visit Dublinia and find out more about our medieval history! Dublinia is open for tours this Halloween and often offer events for families to enjoy over the Halloween break.
Check out the website for updates and bookings
Bram Stoker Festival, Dublin
Dates: Friday 30th October to Monday 2nd November 2020
The Bram Stoker Festival will bring fun and adventure to Dublin for all ages over the Halloween weekend.
Check out the website and social channels for a full list of events and experiences for 2020.
Bram Stoker Festival Curse Hunters
Dates: Friday 30th October to Monday 2nd November online
Enjoy this interactive adventure game, playable at home anywhere in the world, delivered through your phone or tablet. Fun for all ages, although Curse Hunters aged 6-11 will love it most of all…
If you are reading this, then the prophecy has chosen you… it was a very vague prophecy, but we must obey it! As you will have already noticed, 2020 has unleashed an ancient curse upon the universe. Now it is on you (an “ADULT”) to lead a team of adventurers (“CHILD-FOLK”) to stop it. You will guide your young explorers as they create toxic elixirs in the kitchen, compose demon-wooing poetry and dress up like the slick, dimension-surfing HEROES they are. Only then shall the ancient curse be undone!
PLEASE: SAVE THE UNIVERSE! We really can’t stress enough how important it is that UNIVERSE continues to exist.
How to book: This event is FREE but there is limited capacity. Free tickets for Curse Hunters will be available online from Wednesday 21st October, first come, first served basis.
Online ‘Dracula’s Disco’
Date & Time: Sunday November 1st from 2.30pm to 3.30pm
The Ark in conjunction with the Bram Stoker Festival are moving their annual Dracula’s Disco online this year. Suitable for ages 5+, DJ Will Softly will stream all your favourite Halloween hits. The whole family can dress up and enjoy a boogie in the comfort of your own home.
How to Book: This is a free event but you will need a ticket to attend.
Other Fun Halloween Events For Families in Dublin
- The Phoenix Park Visitor Centre usually host free events over the Halloween mid-term. Check out the website for updates.
- Enjoy Samhain in Marlay Park, Rathfarnham . There is usually a Halloween walk for families. Check out the website for full details.
- Bricks4Kidz Halloween Camps are taking place across Dublin this Halloween mid-term. The workshops are geared towards science, technology, engineering and maths (S.T. E. M), with kids using LEGO® to build models and play games.
- Airfield is open this Halloween and offers fun workshops and classes for all ages.
Clonakilty Park Hotel West Cork, Halloween 2020 Offer
Book a family break to remember this Halloween at The Clonakilty Park Hotel in stunning West Cork. Visitors can enjoy an extensive Halloween programme with activities for all the family from tots to teens to adults. Your stay includes:
- Full use of leisure club with 20m pool and separate toddler pool, outdoor playground with pirate ship.
- Spacious rooms & apartments to suit all family sizes
- Extensive Halloween programme from October 23rd to November 1st
- Onsite 3 screen cinema showing the latest releases
- Onsite Adventure centre with 100m zip-wire, two level high rope course, climbing wall and adventure golf.
- Kids Club daily from 11am to 3pm (subject to numbers)
- Supervised Playzone
- Nightly family friendly entertainment
To check availability and to book your family Halloween stay; Tel. 023 88 36400 or visit www.clonakilityparkhotel.ie (Be sure to let them know you saw this offer on Mykidstime!)
If you’re in Cork this Halloween 2020, there’s a variety of things to choose from, including:
Halloween Ramble at Fota House & Gardens, Cork
Bring the family along to Fota House for a fun day out and a ramble around the Arboretum and Victorian Working Gardens this Halloween. Look out for events taking place closer to the time.
Other Fun Halloween Events For Families Taking Place in Cork
- The Dragon of Shandon Festival includes a Halloween Parade. Date for 2020 TBC.
Limerick & The South West
Halloween Entertainment at glór, Ennis
Halloween Spooktacular Science Lab at King Johns Castle, Limerick
Dates & Times: October 31st 2020
Hallowe’en Spook-Tacular Science Labs are back at King Johns Castle this Halloween midterm. Planet Science Kidz Presents: Gooey Bugs n Slime, Giant Slime bubbles, Slime monsters, Slime falls, Test tube potions Ghost cannons and more.
How to Book: Price €25 per child. Very limited spaces available so booking in early is highly recommended
glór Ennis offers art, theatre, workshops and more for all ages to enjoy. Check out their line up of upcoming events for the family to enjoy over the Halloween break.
Other Fun Halloween Events For Families in the Southwest
- The Hunt Museum, Limerick run Halloween Workshops for children over the Halloween mid-term.
- UCH, Limerick have a Brick Flicks Stop Motion Filmmaking Workshop on October 30th and a screening of Hotel Transylvania on November 1st.
- The annual Knocknagoshel Halloween Group Ghost Trail has been cancelled for 2020 but are hoping to be back for 2021.
- Moher Hill Open Farm in Liscannor usually host a fun Halloween event during the midterm break. Check the facebook page for updates
- Kenmare Halloween Howl takes place from October 23rd to November 1st 2020. Expect the unexpected!
The South East
Halloween at Powerscourt Estate, Wicklow
Ghostly Self Guided Halloween Trail at Johnstown Castle, Wexford
Halloween Mid-term – Johnstown Castle have enlisted the help of some of their resident, friendly ghosts, to offer spooky self guided tours over the Halloween mid-term break.
Have spooky fun when you take a self guided Halloween Outdoor Trail. See if you can spot Lady Sophia and some of her ghostly friends while you are on your trail. Last entry is 4.30pm.
How to Book: Free as part of your entry fee.
Halloween Treasure Hunts, Pumpkin Picking and More at Nore Valley Farm Park, Kilkenny
Nore Valley Farm Park, Kilkenny is their annual Halloween activities including Pumpkin picking from October 17th 2020 during opening hours. Get creative and carve your pumpkin at the farm or take it home with you to work on.
In addition the annual Halloween Torchlight Treasure Hunts will take place on specific dates from Monday October 26th to Friday October 31st 2020 from 7pm each evening.
Please note Nore Valley Farm Park is not open to the public on Sundays. Do check all events online before attending.
Other Fun Halloween Events For Families in the South East
- Savour Kilkenny will not take place in 2020. But the team are looking at running mini events during October and November so do keep an eye on the website.
- Russborough House, Wicklow is open and often have events running during the Halloween midterm.
- Bricks4Kidz Halloween Camps are taking place this mid-term. The workshops are geared towards science, technology, engineering and maths (S.T. E. M), with kids using LEGO® to build models and play games.
- Wells House and Gardens Wexford Halloween events will not go ahead in 2020. The team at Wells House are taking the time to carry out maintenance on the house and grounds and look forward to welcoming visitors in 2021. Check out the website for more details.
- Kilruddery House, Co Wicklow have a pumpkin patch guarded by scarecrows and are inviting you to come along and design your own pumpkin for Halloween this midterm.
- Discover the history and mystery of the 800 year old Hook Lighthouse, the oldest intact operational lighthouse in the world, this Halloween with activities including Feile Samhain Pumpkin art and Spooky Tours from October 31st to November 2nd 2020.
- Get into the Spirit of Halloween with a trip on the Waterford & Suir Valley Railway open daily from October 25th to November 1st 2020.
- The Wexford Spiegeltent Festival takes place from October 9th to 26th 2020 with entertainment for all the family.
Enjoy a Halloween Staycation at The Mounty Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, Carlow
Enjoy all the midlands has to offer with a family break this Halloween at the Mount Wolseley Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort. Families will enjoy complimentary use of the leisure facilities, outdoor forest playground and zipline, forest trails and much more.
From a Children’s Festival in Offaly to Spooky Walks in Westmeath, we have lots of ideas on things to do with the family in the Midlands this Halloween 2020, including:
Halloween at Belvedere House & Gardens, Westmeath
Belvedere House and Gardens usually have a host of spooky and not so spooky Halloween events for families.
This Halloween mid-term Belvedere House are running a Children’s Halloween colouring competition! Download and print their fun Halloween-themed poster and colour it in. Return by email including Name, Address and Contact Details and Name and Age of child to [email protected]. (NB due to current Covid 19 restrictions they cannot provide / accept physical copies of the page).
Closing date is November 6th and the winner will get a fabulous 4 Visit Family Pass to Belvedere House Gardens & Park + Family Lunch Voucher (Value €50) for CaToCa Fine Foods & Giftware
Please check the website for booking information and updated event information. Call 044 9349060 for further information.
Halloween Spooktacular at the Irish National Stud, Kildare
October Midterm, 11am to 3pm daily – Halloween Spooktacular at The National Stud, Kildare is always great fun. Spooky Free Pony Rides on Prince, Dipper & Bertie, Terrifying Face Painting, Scariest Outfit Competition, magic shows and spooky slime workshops, the spooky tunnel experience & the opportunity to Experience the Life of a Thoroughbred, balance on the stepping stones in the Japanese Garden and take the fairy trail in St Fichara’s Garden there’s plenty of family fun to be had this Halloween at the Irish National Stud & Gardens!
Halloween Family Fun & Workshops at Birr Castle Demesne, Offaly
Birr Castle in Offaly promise tricks and treats for all the family this Halloween midterm from Saturday 24th October to Sunday 1st November including;
- Fun Halloween spooktacular science workshop on Monday, October 26th
- Halloween Pumpkin Trail
- Family Quest
- Treehouse adventure trail and much more!
Halloween events take place daily during the midterm break from Saturday 24th October to Sunday 1st November. Booking is essential to ensure entry.
Other Fun Halloween Events for Families in the Midlands
- Are you brave enough to take a journey on the Spook-tacular Steam Train Experience this Halloween? Trains leave from Stradbally Woodland Railway, Laois Unfortunately the railway remains closed for now. Check the Facebook page for updates.
- Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park, Kildare hosts its now infamous “Halloween Happenings” for SEVEN spooky days from October 24th to November 1st 2020, 10am to 6pm daily Booking essential.
- Have a Halloween Adventure on the Rathwood Pumpkin Express, Carlow. Runs on dates from October 17th to November 1st 2020. Booking essential.
- Glendeer Pet Farm’s SPOOKTASTIC Halloween Event usually takes place during the midterm break, where kids can cast spells with a scary witch, toast marshmallows over an open fire, enter the eerie maze but be warned, it’s at your own risk. Please check the website for details of 2020 event.
- In Offaly, the Hullabaloo! Children’s Arts Festival returns this Halloween from October 28th to October 31st 2020.
- Enjoy family friendly treasure hunts at the Haunted Huntington Castle, Co Carlow this October 2020. Unfortunately the Ghost Tours will not go ahead this year. Check the website for further details.
- Delta Sensory Gardens in Carlow will host a Halloween Festival on October 31st 2020 from 11am to 5pm. Organisers promise to have lots of ghoulish goings on for you to enjoy.
- Kildare Village usually have a full line up of Halloween events taking place. Check out the website for details for what is happening in 2020.
- Clonfert Pet Farm in Kildare are open this Halloween and from October 24th to 31st 2020, visitors can enjoy a haunted house, pumpkin patch, treasure hunt, reptile room and much more!
- The Spinning Wheel Gluten Free Bakery in Bracknagh, Co Offaly is hosting a free family drive-thru Halloween event. Get dressed up and drive past to collect your gluten free treat. Event takes place on Saturday October 31st, 4pm to 7pm.
- Join the team at the Butler Gallery, Kilkenny for a FREE fun Halloween Family Day to celebrate WolfWalkers, The Exhibition on Saturday October 31st.
The North West
Halloween Events at NMI Country Life, Mayo
The National Museum of Ireland Country Life have a full schedule of free and low cost activities for all ages this Halloween mid-term break.
Halloween at Lough Key Forest Park, Roscommon
This Halloween mid-term break families can enjoy The Lough Key Trivia Trail! Simply purchase your trivia pack from the info booth and get everything you need to decipher the clues and complete the trail. Along the way, look out for the Hallowedding scene at Rockingham church where a spooky couple take their vows!
How to Book: Simply purchase your trivia pack from the info booth and the family can enjoy hours of outdoor problem solving fun!
Other Fun Halloween Events for Families in the North West
- Bricks4Kidz Halloween Camps are taking place in several locations in the North West this mid-term. The workshops are geared towards science, technology, engineering and maths (S.T. E. M), with kids using LEGO® to build models and play games.
- The Achill International Harp Festival takes place from October 23rd to 26th 2020 and will feature workshops, music and more.
- The Mayo Dark Sky Festival takes place from October 30th to November 1st 2020 and will feature talks, workshops and stargazing in Newport, Mulranny and Ballycroy.
- Sligo town and county has loads going on over the Halloween Mid-Term including; The Hazelwood Haunting, Easkey Scarecrow Festival, Beltra Country Market fancy dress & carved pumpkin competition, Strandhill People’s Market, Halloween fun at Sligo Retail Park, Halloween Arts & Crafts @ Sligo Central Library, Halloween fun at Ballymote Community Library.
Enjoy a Tailor-Made Stay at The Connacht Hotel Galway this Halloween Mid-Term
Book a family stay this Halloween mid-term and enjoy all that Galway has to offer. The hotel will provide have a host of Halloween fun and you will get use of the leisure facilities and kids club. Simply choose your room and meal options at the time of booking.
This Halloween 2020 there are plenty of things to do for families in Galway including:
Free Macnas Halloween Parade, Galway
The annual Macnas Halloween Parade is a sight to behold and this year it takes place on the streets of Galway from 5.30pm on October 25th.
Halloween Bonfire and Samhain Fun at Brigit’s Garden, Galway
Halloween Festival at Slieve Aughty, Galway
From October 24th to November 1st 2020 from 12pm to 6pm daily it will be a spooky time to visit Slieve Aughty for their annual Family Halloween Festival Galway. With ghosts, goblins, haunted houses and of course a visit to the enchanted woods, are you brave enough to join in? Fun is guaranteed for all ages.
Halloween at Galway City Museum
The Galway City Museum usually have some free fun workshops and tours taking place over the Halloween mid-term break. Check out the website for details.
Online Halloween Pumpkin Photo Competition, Aughnanure Castle Heritage Site, Galway
Dates: Entries must be in by Saturday October 31st
Aughnanure Castle Heritage Site in Galway always run fun events for Halloween. In the current situation, they are moving these online and are asking you to decorate, carve, draw, build! or get creative in other ways to create a pumpkin and send them in photos. All entries will be entered into a competition to win awards and an overall prize of an OPW Heritage Site Family Pass.
How to Enter: Visit the Facebook page for full details.
Other Fun Events Taking Place in Galway for Families
- The annual Galway Aboo Festival takes during the October mid-term from October 24th to 26th 2020 in the Latin Quarter and the annual Macnas Halloween Parade going through the streets of Galway on October 25th 2020 from 5.30pm.
- The annual Vodafone Comedy Carnival is back in Galway from October 20th to 26th 2020. With live comedy for adults and kids taking place throughout.
The North East
- The Spirits of Meath Halloween Festival takes place in venues across the county this October on dates from October 5th to November 2nd 2020.
- Causey Farm Meath are open this Halloween mid-term and are hoping to run their annual Pooka Spooka Festival but ask you to keep an eye on the website for updates.
- Monaghan County Museum have Halloween Events taking place online during the mid-term break for 2020 including Spooky Tales and Art.
- At Ladyrath Lane in Wilkinstown, Co. Meath, they have an annual Pumpkin event but it sells out very quickly! Choose from 1000’s of pumpkins, buy and then carve your pumpkins in their Halloween barn. Tickets include fun Halloween Activities. Runs on dates from October 17th to 25th 2020.
- The Irish Military War Museum in Meath are hosting Spooky Halloween museum tours, a spooky maze, pumpkin picking & carving, Ireland’s largest inflatable park and much more! From Sunday October 25th to Friday October 30th 2020, 10am to 5pm daily.
- One of Europe’s largest Halloween festivals, the Banks of the Foyle Halloween Festival takes place in Derry between October 28th and November 1st 2020 and Guildhall Square is the focus for many of the events.
- Palace Stables in Armagh usually run a Halloween Arts & Crafts Club.
- Little Spooks – only for the very brave! takes place at Navan Centre Armagh this Halloween. Check for updates for 2020 event.
- Enjoy Ghoulish treats, pumpkin carving and a Halloween Trail at The Argory, Dungannon this Halloween midterm. Check for updates on 2020 events.
- The Mac Belfast usually have a full line up of Spooky Halloween Events and Workshops for ages 0 to 100 years. Check the website for updates for 2020.
- Boo at the Zoo is always a hit with families at Belfast Zoo. Check the website for details of 2020 events.
If you run a Halloween Event and would like to include it, please add it to the comments box below.