Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
The handy thing about when you have a toddler and are not tied to school times is you have a bit more flexibility to visit places during the day and at less busy times. If you’re looking for ideas for things to do with preschoolers in Wicklow, we’ve got a few suggestions for you:
Things To Do With Preschoolers In Wicklow
Soft Play Centres in Wicklow
Visit one of the play centres in Wicklow, they usually have dedicated soft play areas for preschoolers, and it’s a good way to spend a couple of hours and burn off some energy.
Here are some soft play places in Wicklow:
- At Wicklow Bowl Kidzone on Dublin Road in Wicklow there are Parent & Toddler mornings on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 10am -12noon with up to two hours play with free tea and toast for the parent / guardian.
- Zoom Adventure Play in Greystones has a separate toddler area.
You Might Also Enjoy 10 Fun Things To Do In Wicklow With Kids
Storytime in Wicklow Libraries
Visit one of the many great libraries in Wicklow, there are 13 libraries in total.
Many libraries host a weekly story time and/or a parent and toddler group. Ballywaltrim Library has a regular Saturday morning storytime at 11.30am which is suitable for children aged up to 7 years while Wicklow Library has Storytime for children with arts and crafts every Saturday at 11am. Check out your local Wicklow library to see upcoming events and news.
The junior section of the Library is also a great way to spend an hour or two reading and choosing books. Your preschooler can join the library and choose their own books to borrow.
You Might Also Enjoy Free Things To Do In Wicklow With Kids
Parent Toddler Swimming in Wicklow
Go swimming! Many swimming pools in Wicklow have dedicated times for Parent and Toddler swims and/or specific swimming areas for smaller children. Places with smaller pools suitable for toddlers that are open to the public:
- Coral Leisure Centre Arklow has a separate learner pool
- Coral Leisure Centre Wicklow Town offers a 9 meter learner pool
- Shoreline Leisure Centre Bray has a family viewing gallery and learner pool
- Shoreline Leisure Centre Greystones offers family changing room and a toddler pool
Music and Other Fun Classes
Sign up for a class. Music, movement, dance, drama, play labs, swimming or football! Check out preschool classes, it’s a great way to meet people and make friends too.
Gymboree run music and play classes in various locations in Wicklow.
Playgrounds in Wicklow
Visit the playground! Here are playgrounds in Wicklow. Several of the playgrounds in Wicklow have dedicated sections for smaller children. Here are some of our favourites to go to:
- The playground at Russborough House is open year round and is free for everyone. It is best suited to kids aged 2 to 12 years. There are wooden framed swings, sandpit, slides and a fun spider web climbing frame.
- Arklow Seaview Avenue Playground offers climbing and slides as well as swings and seesaw for a range of ages as well as spinning and activities for toddlers. Set in a grass area with space to run around.
- Ballywaltrim Playground, Bray is a favourite it has lots of climbing and slides as well as swings and seesaw
- St Peters Place, Arklow Town is a large modern playground with lots of activities, swings, slides and climbing for a range of ages
You May Also Enjoy – The Best Playgrounds In Ireland Recommended by Parents
Parent and Toddler Groups
Join a local Parent and Toddler Group. There are many local groups throughout Wicklow that meet weekly. Parent and Toddler groups are a lovely way for young children to mix with children their own age and for parents to meet other local parents.
Attractions in Wicklow
If you have a free day mid week a big advantage with getting out and about with preschoolers is that you can visit places at “off peak” times when older children are at school and popular places aren’t as busy!
Some places to visit in Wicklow with your preschooler:
- Powerscourt Waterfall and Gardens offers a great day out. It’s a wonderful place to be on a summer day with a playground, cafe and ice creams, walks, bbq facilities and picnic benches. They also run regular events for kids and families so check before you go.
- Sea Life in Bray has a Parent and Toddler ticket for €10. Combine a visit to the aquarium with a wander along the seafront to enjoy ice-cream afterwards.
- Glenroe Open Farm, situated in the picturesque village of Kilcoole, Co. Wicklow, offers easy access to a wide selection of farm animals from March to October each year.
Children can enjoy the outdoor playground and find their favourite furry animal to hold such as rabbits and guinea pigs. Bring a packed lunch to enjoy outdoors or in the indoor picnic area a.k.a. The Piggery.
- Avondale Forest Park in Rathdrum has a number of tree trails and walks to suit everyone. There is a children’s playground which is located close to Avondale House and picnic tables located in the car park with barbeque grids.
- Greenan Farm and Maze also in Rathdrum is a great way to spend the day.
- At Tick Tock Activity Farm in Thomastown, Arklow, you can meet George and Oscar the pot bellied pigs, Ruby the Donkey and Issy the goat and lots of other Farmyard Friends. They also have an Activity Bus, outdoor and indoor play areas, a Pets Corner and more.
- Russborough House & Parklands in Wicklow has a playground with a picnic area alongside, and a Fairy Walk through their woodlands and out to Lady’s Island. Kids can pick up a brochure from reception and learn all about the fairies’ adventures.
- Head to Killruddery House & Gardens for a fun day out where you can take a leisurely walk through the gardens, enjoy a picnic in the walled garden with the sandpit and the tyre dragon, or visit on feature days like their ‘Teddy Bears Picnic’ and ‘Fairytale Tale Day’.
Events for Preschoolers in Wicklow
Keep an eye on our events pages as there are regular workshops and events for younger children in the city’s galleries, museums, parks and more.
You May Also Enjoy Our Pick of What’s On This Month
Go For A Walk
Many of the walks in Wicklow are perfect for preschoolers, to run, collect leaves, stones, etc. and play hide and seek.
Wicklow also has excellent beaches, including blue flag beaches, bring buckets to collect shells and things! Beaches in Wicklow that we enjoy visiting include
- Brittas Bay North and South
- Bray/Newcastle, Kilcoole
You might also enjoy reading our ideas for entertaining preschoolers at home.
Over to you now. If you have other suggestions for fun things to do with preschoolers in Wicklow please let us know in the comments box below.