You can use a whole range of materials to create your own homemade wind chimes, including metal, bamboo, glass, shells, beads, ceramic and wood.
You can also upcycle old items, from spoons and keys to bottle tops and tin cans – even a teapot or colander to dangle your chimes from!
Each material will make a different sound – from a gentle tinkle to a stronger clatter – which you will need to take into account when you are deciding where to place your wind chime. The last thing you want is something loud and disturbing outside your bedroom window!
To create your own wind chimes, you will need:
- A base which your chimes will hang from
- A selection of chimes. There is no set number needed, and depending on what you are using and how big and/or heavy they are, you may need as few as half a dozen chimes or many more. It also depends on the level of sound you want from the final creation.
- A drill or other tools to create holes for hanging your chimes
- Twine, rope, fishing wire, chain, or similar to hang your chimes
- Decorations such as bells or beads to add to your chimes (optional)