I love it when the sun comes out and the kids can get outdoors more often. Best of all, we can move our art and crafts projects outdoors and it doesn’t matter how messy it gets! From homemade sundials to funky pots, we guarantee you will love these 11 Creative Garden Crafts for Kids, and get some cool crafts and decorations to brighten up your garden too!
#1. Rock Painting
- Choose smooth, light coloured stones, ones from the beach are ideal
- Use poster paints or paint tester pots and let the kids use their imagination
- Once the paint has dried, use a clear varnish to coat the whole rock, ensuring they will withstand the test of time.
From Bumble Bees to Fruit and Vegetable markers, these beautiful creations will be a lovely addition to any garden.
#2. Shell Crafts
For older children check out this amazing shell house from Martha Stewart.
#3. Bird Feeder
With a few simple ingredients you can create your own homemade bird feeder.
#4. Vegetable Printing
Use fruit and vegetables that you find in the garden to create beautiful prints. Carrots, potatoes, parsnips, apples, pears, squashes and long leaves from plants like Rhubarb, grasses and ferns all make excellent paint brushes!
- To get started simply cut the fruit or vegetable in half. If you want to create a special pattern, you could cut a design into one half.
- Hold your paper in place with some small stones and get creative.
- Lay out your paints on paper plates and put a fruit or vegetable half in each plate.
- Press the fruit/veg with paint onto your paper and watch the lovely patterns appear.
You may also like 10 of the Best Nature Activities for Kids to Do in Your Own Garden
#5. Fairy Garden
- Fill a large pot or tub with soil
- Add some small flowering plants like pansies, dasies, snowdrops or primroses.
- Add a small amount of grass seed, heather, moss or bark to create a magical world.
- Add a ceramic house or ornament where, the fairies can live
- Decorate your Fairy Garden with outdoor lights or decorations.
May also like 20 Best Outdoor Activities for Toddlers
#6. Nature Collage
- Collect leaves, flowers, feathers, petals and any other small objects you think will look good.
- Glue them onto a piece or card to create a beautiful nature collage.
You may also like 12 of the Most Awesome Garden Activities for Preschoolers
#7. Nature Rubbings
#8. Create a SunDial
A sundial is a lovely addition to any garden – see how to create a homemade sundial here.
#9. Create a Wind Chime
- A strong branch or a length of bamboo or an old sieve or colander
- Fine, stong string, thread or fishing line cut into several different lengths
- Old buttons, bottle caps, shells, beads or keys. It is easier if these already have holes in them.
String the items you have collected together on different lengths of line and tie them to your bamboo, sieve, colander or branch. You can add several items to each piece of string.
#10. Paint Plant Pots
You can also glue on shells or small pebbles to create some unique pots for your patio/garden.
#11. Make Planters
Make some cool planters from empty plastic water bottles by cutting out one side and stringing them up in a fun design in your patio. They would be perfect for growing small plants like herbs, or fill with summer bedding for a colourful display.
Image via Pinterest
Do you have any creative garden craft ideas? Please share them in the comments box below.