You may not automatically associate party food with guilt free healthy snacks. Parties are usually an excuse to load up the kids with sugar and unhealthy treats! But who said yummy has to be unhealthy? With our guilt free healthy party food ideas for kids we have a selection yummy treats that will be a hit with kids and adults alike.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers.
PS Did we mention it’s free?
#1. Healthy Caramel Slice
This recipe for healthy caramel slices contains no sugar and requires no cooking so you could even get the kids involved in making it. It comes from the Happy Pear cookbook and although there is a bit of waiting as the layers set, it is well worth the effort.
It could even be a healthy birthday cake alternative if you leave it in one piece!
You may also enjoy – 8 Healthy Desserts we Promise Your Kids will Love
#2. Chicken Kebabs
Kids seem to like anything on a stick so how about trying out chicken kebabs as an alternative to chicken goujons?
- Chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- Pineapple chunks
- Peppers chopped into bite size pieces
- Cucumber chopped into bite size pieces
- Cherry tomatoes
- Wooden skewers
Cook your chicken pieces either in the grill or on a griddle pan with just a little oil. This takes about 7 to 10 minutes. Once cooked, place in a bowl and let the party guests add to skewers with the other ingredients on offer. Making them up themselves ensures they are more likely to eat them all!
#3. Blackberry Oat Smoothie
This blackberry oat smoothie is a delicious healthy alternative to high sugar drinks traditionally served at kids parties.
For a summer party, you could make these in advance and freeze them in ice lolly moulds, the perfect healthy party treat to cool off your active party guests. You could supplement the blackberries with any soft berries of your choice.
You might also enjoy – 10 Smoothie Recipes that Kids Will Actually Like
#4. Fruit Skewers
These fruit skewers make the perfect party activity along with being a tasty party food.
- Red grapes
- Green grapes
Take your wooden skewers and thread the above fruits, or a selection of them, onto each, starting with blueberries and working your way down to strawberries.
You could use cutters to make pretty shapes like the hearts or stars.
You may also enjoy – 15 Guilt Free Healthy Party Food Ideas for Kids
#5. Turkey Rolls
As an alternative to sausage rolls, you could whip up some turkey or chicken rolls that are packed full of veggies and taste delicious.
- 500g turkey or chicken mince
- 75g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 egg to bind (and a little left over to seal and glaze)
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 medium courgette grated
- Small bunch of flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- Pinch of dried cumin or coriander
- 4 sheets of ready made puff pastry
- Pinch of salt
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Heat your oven to 200ºC or 180ºC for fan ovens
- Place all your ingredients, except the pastry, in a blender and combine well.
- Place your first pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and cut in half lengthways.
- Spoon turkey/chicken mix in a line in the centre of your pastry.
- Glaze edges with egg wash.
- Fold over so the edges meet and you have a long roll with your mix in the middle.
- Repeat the process until you have used up all your pastry and filling.
- Place rolls in the fridge to chill for half an hour.
- Cut rolls into bite size chunks and add a slit to each to allow for moisture to escape.
- Place rolls on lightly greased baking sheets and glaze with egg.
- You could add some poppy or sesame seeds at this stage.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
#6. Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Every party needs cupcakes or muffins and these healthy blueberry muffins make the perfect alternative to more sugar filled versions. They bake in about 20 minutes and you could give them to kids warm out of the oven or leave to cool and offer them a selection of toppings to decorate them with.
#7. Homemade Pizza
Pizza is always a big hit at parties and this quick scone base homemade pizza recipe is no different. You can make the base up the night before, although it does only take 10 minutes to pull together, and once rolled allow kids to decorate as they wish.
#8. Ladyfinger Fruit Cake
This cake is made using cream cheese, cream, fruit and lady finger biscuits and makes a spectacular centrepiece for any party table.
- 2 packets lady fingers (approx 60 biscuits)
- 250ml whipping cream
- 250g cream cheese
- Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large ripe banana
- Apple juice to soak biscuits
- Fresh fruit of your choice, berries work well
- 7/8 inch springform tin
- You will line the sides and base of the tin with the ladyfingers. To do this dip each one in the apple juice to help it stick.
- Beat together the cream, banana, cream cheese and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
- Spoon a third of the mix into the tin.
- Add a layer of lady fingers (they don’t need to be dipped)
- Add a layer of fruit of your choice or you could add a layer of lemon curd instead
- Repeat the process until you reach the top layer
- Just add fruit here without the biscuits
- Leave for 2 hours to set (or overnight if you can)
- Serve and enjoy.
#9. Healthy Donuts with Peanut Butter and Chocolate
Image from I Love Cooking Ireland
The great thing about these healthy donuts from I love Cooking Ireland, apart from the fact that they are perfect healthy party food, is that you could bake them the day before your party and have the kids decorate them as a party activity.
They are gluten, dairy and egg free and use maple syrup and coconut sugar to add sweetness. Best of all they only take 10 minutes to bring together, all in one bowl, and another 10 minutes to cook!
#10. Fun Healthy Penguins
These festive penguins are great any time of the year and would make a lovely addition to your party food selection.
They are made from olives, carrots and mozzarella cheese and are quick and easy to prepare.
#11. Healthy Ice Pops
These 8 healthy ice pop recipes would all work well as healthy party food for kids on warm sunny days. There is everything from fruit to veggies to frozen healthy chocolate pops!
#12. Fruit Animals
Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, grapes and blueberries are perfect as healthy and colourful party snacks for children. They are low in calories and full of vitamins and anti-oxidants.
Make them more interesting by adding sunflower seeds or almond ears, chocolate drop eyes and skewers to make snakes!
Over to you now. Have you tried any of our healthy party food ideas for kids? Or do you have some ideas of your own for healthy party food? Please share them with us in the comments box below.