Looking for free things to do with the kids that won’t cost anything? How about a Family Orchestra?! All you need are either some real instruments or else gather together a few items from around the house and have fun with your children making “instruments” to play together!
1. Jar Xylophone
- 5-8 jars
- A spoon
- Fill the jars with different levels of water. Lower sounds will come from jars with more water in them, higher sounds from jars with less water in them.
- To play, gently strike the jars with your spoon. (take care not to hit too hard!)
2. Paper Towel Trumpet
- 1 paper towel roll
- some waxed paper or baking parchment
- a rubber band
- a pen
- Cover one end of the paper towel roll with waxed paper, secure it with a rubber band.
- Punch a row of holes along one side of the roll with the tip of the pen.
- To play, sing a tune into the open end of the horn.
3. Pot Cover Cymbals
- 2 matching pot covers
- Ribbon (or string or yarn)
- Tie the ribbon (string/yarn) around the handles of the pot covers.
- Strike them together to play your cymbals.
4. Coffee Tin Drum
- Empty coffee (or other) tin with plastic lid
- 2 pencils
Beat the pencils on the lid of your tin to “play your drum”.
5. Buzzing comb
- A comb
- Some tissue paper
6. Shoebox Guitar
- 1 empty shoe box
- Rubber bands
- Ruler or stick
- Take off the box lid and stretch the rubber bands around the box.
- Attach the ruler/stick to the back of the box at one end for the guitar arm.
- Strum or pluck the rubber bands to “play your guitar”.
We’re always looking for great ideas for Free Things to Do with Kids so share your ideas below and we’ll share them with other parents!