The festive season is a fabulous time of celebration with our families and friends, but with it comes some potential fire hazards. From fairy lights to charging devices to candles, there are a few things to be aware of in your home.
Follow these very simple fire safety tips to keep you and your nearest and dearest safe from fire this Christmas.
1. Ensure smoke alarms are installed in your home, and that they are working. Check that they are uncovered and test them weekly. Never remove batteries for use in toys.
2. Don’t overload sockets or electrical adaptors by plugging too many appliances into one socket, especially those with a high electrical current such as kettles, irons and heaters.
3. Be sure to check Christmas lights and electrical decorations for frayed cables or wiring. If they’re damaged, replace them. Light up decorations can be a major fire risk.
4. Turn off lights and appliances at bedtime. While fairy lights and other light up festive decorations can create a cosy atmosphere at home, like all electrical appliances they shouldn’t be left on over night. Do a whole house check and switch off before bed.
5. Keep lit candles away from anything flammable, for example curtains, Christmas cards or anything that can catch fire. Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep when they are alight.
6. Plan a fire evacuation route and practice a fire drill with your children so that if a fire does start, this will give you all the best chance to get out safely and call 112 for help.
This message is brought to you by The Propono Group, specialist providers of supreme solutions for your home.
- Share this competition page on your social media so as many people see these simple and important fire safety tips
- Fill in your contact details on our form below
We’ll be in touch by email with the lucky winner after the closing date of Sunday January 2nd 2022.
This competition has closed now, be sure to check out the other great prizes we are giving away!