Karen’s fabulous Pirate Ship Cake is another cake made by a parent in our series Kids Cake Ideas. The idea was adapted by Karen from Birthday Cakes for Kids by Annie Rigg. Perfect for your little pirate’s birthday cake.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
- 350g butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300g plain flour
- 50g cocoa
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven 180C/Gas 4
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add beaten eggs. Add vanilla extract.
- Sift together plain flour and baking powder and add to cake mixture in 2 batches. Add milk and mix until smooth.
- Bake in 33x23x6cm Rectangular Cake Tin.
- Bake on the middle shelf for 30 – 35 mins. (You will know your own oven so check near end of cooking time). Leave to cool for 10 minutes in tin before turning out onto a wire cooling rack.
For the Chocolate Butter Icing:
- 350g butter (softened)
- 600g icing sugar
- 100g cocoa powder
How to Decorate
- Red writing icing
- Yellow writing icing
- Red and yellow smarties
- Curly Wurly
- Small thin kids dairy milk bar for gang plank
- Jolly roger photos from the internet, stick these onto wooden skewers.
- Cut cake as per photo using a little icing to stick pieces together.
- Cover the cake in icing using a palette knife. Use Curly wurly for the sides of the ship. Decorate with writing icing and Smarties.
- Use half dairy milk for gang plank and add jolly rogers and mini figures.
Ahoy there mateys you are done!
Related : Lots more Birthday Cake ideas here.
Have you made a similar cake before? Let us know in the comments below