In our series of Kids Cake Ideas, Etain, mum of 3 boys, shares her special Train Cake recipe, a true work of cake-art that looks fantastic and has proved to be one of the family’s most popular birthday cakes.
This recipe makes 9 individual cakes, which is perfect for a birthday party 🙂
- 225g 8oz Caster Sugar
- 225g 8oz Butter
- 4 eggs
- 225g 8oz Self Raising Flour
- Sweets for decorating
Train shaped tins available from Lakeland
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Sift flour and add gradually to creamed mix alternating with egg mixture.
- Pour mixture in to the train shapes filling each half full & bake for 25mins
- Decorate with all sorts of sweets e.g. using circular sweets for the wheels. You can use writing icing (that comes in tubes) for piping around the carriages, then fill some carriages with other sweets. Jelly baby people can be used to “wait” for the train and you can make their luggage out of licorice all sorts.
- Maltesers and chocolate fingers can be used for train tracks. Finish off with a dusting of icing sugar.
Related: Lots more cake ideas in our Birthday Cakes article.
Have you made a similar train cake before? Let us know in the comments below