With the days getting warmer, our thoughts invariably turn to ice cream and ice pops! But ice pops can be a messy affair for young kids, so why not craft your own instead? Using some simple craft and colouring materials, here are some cute paper ice lollies that are fantastic for imaginative play!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
If you’re looking for some simple summer crafts for toddlers and preschoolers, that allow for creative role play time, then these simple paper ice lollies are just the thing.
You May Also Enjoy 18 Easy Paper Crafts for Kids You’ll Want to Make Too!
Paper Ice Lollies Craft Activity
You will need:
- Colouring materials
1. Download and print the templates from the list below. You can choose from the black and white (which you can colour in yourself) or the coloured version of the activity. There are two front and two back sheets (each sheet contains 5 ice lollies) to make 10 paper ice lollies in total of either coloured or black and white, so be sure to print off both front and back for all.
- Ice Lollies Black & White – Sheet 1 Front & Sheet 1 Back
- Ice Lollies Black & White – Sheet 2 Front & Sheet 2 Back
- Ice Lollies Coloured – Sheet 1 Front & Sheet 1 Back
- Ice Lollies Coloured – Sheet 2 Front & Sheet 2 Back
2. If you choose the black and white option, colour all the images before cutting them, as it’s much easier. Make the ice lollies as colourful as you like and even invent new flavours! There are two front and two back sheets to make 10 ice lollies in total so make sure you colour both sides of each one.
3. Cut out the coloured ice lolly shapes.
4. Take an empty cardboard box and cut out shapes to look like the wooden sticks used in real ice lollies.
5. Take the front and back side of an ice lolly and glue them together adding the cardboard stick at the bottom. Doesn’t that look delicious?
6. Find a container that you can use as a pretend freezer.
7. When you have made your ice lollies think of names to call them, e.g. Sweet watermelon, Juicy splash, Very berry, Triple taste, Super sour lemon, etc. Now you’re almost ready to start your ice lolly business.
8. Think of a name for your shop and you could even make a poster to display the flavours available and the prices.
9. Decide who is selling and who is buying the ice lollies. Make a queue of customers out of your toys and pick the flavour!
10. Alternatively, you could pretend to sell the ice lollies from an ice cream van. Just drive around the house singing a song and stop for costumers!
Don’t forget to practice saying: ‘hello’, ‘please’, ‘thank you’ and ‘goodbye’ as you play!