Art and craft projects are always a fun and easy way to amuse the kids, but what do you do with the scraps and leftovers? This is where the joy of combining pieces, shapes and colours to create something new comes in! Get started with our tips on how to make a collage, an ideal early project with toddlers that can then be fine-tuned for older children to create incredible works of art!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
A collage is made up of lots of little pieces to create one bigger piece of art. There is no ‘right answer’ when it comes to any artwork, and certainly not with a collage which can be as simple of eclectic as you like!
You May Also Enjoy 50 Brilliant Ideas for Art & Craft for Kids That Are Worth the Mess
How to Make a Collage
What you will need:
- White or coloured card
- Pens / crayons / glitter / ribbons / feathers / other craft items
- As many unwanted magazines as you can find, or alternatively old Christmas/birthday cards
What you do:
- Cut out lots of pictures, shapes, letters and ideas from the magazines.
- Have your child draw out a picture on the card that they want to create, e.g. a garden, sea scene, farm, zoo, house
- Glue the magazine pictures onto the card to create a collage. Encourage your child to use pens and other craft items to decorate their collage.
- For older kids, mosaic projects are good fun, where you take a page of a magazine, cut it into small pieces and then glue onto paper or card again leaving a gap between the pieces to give the mosaic effect. Or, alternatively, draw out the shape of something that will be filled in with different colours from magazine pieces, to make up a new mosaic shape.
You May Also Enjoy 10 of the Cutest, Fluffiest Cotton Wool Craft Ideas for Kids