Lent is upon us and Catholics around the world will begin the 40 day Lenten journey by making a sacrifice or change to their usual lifestyle. Giving up sweet things, alcohol, device time and other treats are all up for grabs. But this year, how about turning Lent on its head and Take Up Not Give Up This Lent? By take up I mean getting fit and active together with friends or family members and there are plenty of worthy causes you can help along the way.
Tips on How to Take Up Not Give Up this Lent
- Before embarking on any new exercise regime, make sure to seek medical advice.
- Recruit friends or family to join you for motivation. Maybe your walking partner or book club would be up for a new challenge?
- Set goals to work towards
- See what charities you can help
- Be realistic about what you can achieve
- Have set times during the week to do your activity so you are less likely to make excuses
- Get the right equipment for your chosen activity
- Sign up for an event in the future so you are less likely to quit.
Something to Aim For
It is important to have a goal in mind to aim for when you take up a new challenge. We are here to help! Below is a round up of events taking place in Ireland this year that men, women and children could sign up to take part in. Most have a charity element, so not only are you getting fit, but you are helping worthy causes too!
You could consider supporting one of our Mykidstime Charities of The Year 2018 by raising funds for them through taking part in one of the events listed below.
VHI Women’s Mini Marathon
The VHI Women’s Mini Marathon takes place in Dublin on June 3rd 2018. Registration for the event takes place from March 7th 2018.
Run Ireland have a list of events to suit all ages and abilities that are taking place across the country in 2018. Events include Night Runs, Duathlon’s, Forest 5k runs, Half Marathons, Fun Runs, 5k, 8k and 10k runs and even 3 Marathons in 2 days!
Swim for A Mile
If you want to get fit and improve your swimming, check out Swim for a Mile, a 12 week swimming programme delivered to your inbox! Register to take part in an organised Swim for A Mile event at your local pool in March and April 2018 if you need to be motivated.
- Tuesday 20th March 2018 – UL Sport, Limerick
- Wednesday 21st March 2018 – Kingfisher, NUI Galway
- Thursday 22nd March 2018 – Olympia LC, Belfast
- Sunday 25th March 2018 – NAC, Dublin
- Tuesday 27th March 2018 – Leisureworld, Bishopstown, Cork
- Friday 13th April 2018 – The Watershed, Kilkenny
Just For Fun
You may want to start small and that is fine too. Even getting out and about for a brisk daily walk or a kick about with the kids for 30 minutes can quickly improve your health and fitness levels. Or you may decide to take up a new sport or hobby such as yoga, martial arts, tennis etc.
Lent is a great time to get started and to get the kids involved!
Be Inspired: 10 Fun Games to get the Whole Family Exercising
So agree a timetable, pick an activity and let us know in the comments box below what you have chosen to do for Take Up Not Give Up This Lent! And keep us up-to-date on social media using our hashtag #takeupnotgiveup.