Are you a business or brand looking to market to mothers? As a mother of 4 and an experienced digital marketer, I have created a checklist of 21 Questions to Ask Before You Try to Engage With Mums On-Line:
Day to day we try to establish common ground when we meet people, to identify interests or issues we have in common and use these to start a conversation. It shouldn’t be any different online, yet businesses seem to continue to push out content without identifying what their audience wants or indeed listening to their audience online.
If you can answer these 21 key questions and you have your content and channels organised, then I guarantee that your target Mum audience will listen to everything you have to say.
- WHO ARE YOUR AUDIENCE?
- Are you trying to reach the Mums of newborns, preschoolers, tween or teens?
- Have you a clear persona of your target Mum in mind?
- Have you personalised the relationship by ‘naming’ her? Can you visualise your ‘Maria’?
- WHERE IS YOUR AUDIENCE?
- If ‘Maria’ is your target Mum, where will you reach her?
- Is she on-line?
- Does she favour desktop or tablet or smartphone to access on-line content?
- WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO CONNECT?
- Mums’ schedules are often tied into the life stage of their children, so when does ‘Maria’ have time to receive your messaging?
- Does she sit with a tablet when her baby has gone to bed?
- Is she scanning her Smartphone on the sideline at soccer practice?
- Can she browse on her desktop during her lunch break?
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CONVEY YOUR MESSAGE?
- Mums are busy juggling lots of things, is your message super clear and have you got straight to the point?
- Have you spelled out how you can offer ‘Maria’ a solution to a parenting problem?
- Are you delivering high quality content, with great timely solutions to make life easier for ‘Maria’?
- HOW DO YOU ENSURE YOUR EFFORTS ARE WORKING?
- Have you embedded trackable links to products and services to drive sales?
- Have you included a lead capturing call to action?
- Have you a measurement and review strategy in place for every campaign?
You might be interested in taking a look at the results of a recent survey we ran about moms and how they use smartphones, and their views on content and social media – Insights on Smart Devices, Content and Social
From the campaigns we have run at Mykidstime, I have seen that brands and organisations that are able to answer these questions are more likely to succeed in engaging Mums online and delivering real results for their marketing efforts.
If you’d like to find out more about our survey or any other aspect of marketing to Mums you can contact me by email, or on Twitter or on LinkedIn.