Our favourite yellow sidekicks, the Minions, are back in Minions: The Rise of Gru!
The origin story of how the world’s greatest supervillain first met his iconic Minions, forged cinema’s most despicable crew and faced off against the most unstoppable criminal force ever assembled arrives on screens this summer. Cue lots of quotable and laugh-out-loud moments for the whole family to enjoy.
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Long before he becomes the master of evil, Gru (voiced by Oscar nominee Steve Carell) is just a 12-year-old boy in 1970s suburbia, plotting to take over the world from his basement. It’s not going particularly well.
When Gru crosses paths with the Minions, including Kevin, Stuart, Bob, and Otto (a new Minion sporting braces and a desperate need to please) this unexpected family joins forces. Together, they build their first lair, design their first weapons, and strive to execute their first missions.
Infamous supervillain supergroup, the Vicious 6, oust their leader, the legendary martial arts fighter Wild Knuckles (played by Oscar winner Alan Arkin). Gru, their most devoted fanboy, interviews to become their newest member.
The Vicious 6 is not impressed by the diminutive, wannabe villain, but then Gru outsmarts (and enrages) them, and he suddenly finds himself the mortal enemy of the apex of evil.
With Gru on the run, the Minions attempt to master the art of kung fu to help save him, and Gru discovers that even bad guys need a little help from their friends.
The Cast of Minions: The Rise of Gru!
As well as Steve Carell and Alan Arkin, Minions: The Rise of Gru also features some other very well-known actors:
- Russell Brand stars as Young Dr. Nefario, an aspiring mad scientist
- Michelle Yeoh voices Master Chow, an acupuncturist with mad kung fu skills
- Taraji P. Henson plays cool and confident leader Belle Bottom, whose chain belt doubles as a lethal disco-ball mace
- Jean-Claude Van Damme is the nihilistic Jean Clawed, who’s armed (literally) with a giant robotic claw
- Lucy Lawless voices Nunchuck, whose traditional nun’s habit hides her deadly nun-chucks
- Dolph Lundgren is Swedish roller-skate champion Svengeance, who dispenses his enemies with spin kicks from his spiked skates
- Danny Trejo plays Stronghold, whose giant iron hands are both a menace to others and a burden to him
- and Oscar winner Julie Andrews is Gru’s maddeningly self-absorbed mother.
The film also has a fantastic ’70s soundtrack courtesy of legendary Grammy-winning music producer Jack Antonoff.
Minions: The Rise of Gru will be in cinemas from 1st July 2022.