Butter has come back into fashion again, after years of being touted as unhealthy. As with everything, using in moderation is the trick. Here are 10 easy tips from the Mykidstime Team for cooking with butter:
- Put a small knob of butter into a risotto just before you are finished cooking it, it makes it lovely and creamy.
- Melt some butter and add to your pancake mix before cooking them, it makes the mixture extra buttery and stops pancakes sticking to the pan.
- Pop some popping corn kernels in a pan (don’t forget the lid!) and once they have finished popping, empty into a bowl. Put a knob of butter into the still hot pan and melt it, and pour over the corn for easy buttery popcorn.
- Create brown butter in a stainless steel pan over a low heat. Once the foam subsides you are left with a beautiful amber liquid ideal over chicken, fish or vegetables.
- Add a little knob of butter to your olive oil when frying onions it will stop the onions burning and give them a nice taste too.
- Always add really hot milk to potatoes with some butter and salt, then mash like crazy and they will be super smooth!
- When a recipe calls for creamed butter, mix on a low speed to ensure your butter does not lose its emulsion.
- Get the kids involved making their own garlic/herb bread. Mashing garlic or chopping herbs then mixing with softened butter before spreading on bread and popping in foil and into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Give your sauces a great shine by adding a few cubes of cold butter and whisking.
- For perfect pastry make sure your butter is cold and rest your pastry in the fridge before you roll it out.
To celebrate the Kerrygold Ballymaloe Literary Festival of Food & Wine (May 15th – 17th), Ireland’s beloved butter brand, Kerrygold have launched their #NuggetsofGold campaign which runs until Tuesday 19th May and you can win a cookery class at Ballymaloe and lots of other goodies!
Kerrygold is inviting food lovers to share their #NuggetsofGold – a cooking tip, skill or recipe that have been passed on to them through the generations by family and friends. Each entrant is in with a chance to win a cookery class & stay at Ballymaloe and lots of other Kerrygold goodies!
To enter simply share a cooking tip, skill or recipe using #NuggetsOfGold on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and tag @KerrygoldIrl. The winner of the trip to Ballymaloe will be announced on Tuesday 19th May – so get entering!
Visit Kerrygold’s Nuggets of Gold for more great cooking tips.
Have you any cooking tips to share with us? Let us know in the comments below.