What’s the first thing kids ask for when they enter the kitchen? They usually wonder if there’s a sweet treat for them. You can reward children with some simple desserts that you can either bake in less than an hour or purchase from a favourite store. We will be listing both kinds, as even the most organised person cannot possibly find the time to bake for every occasion. The entries were chosen for both taste and health.
3 Simple Desserts to Buy on Your Way Home
#1. Cookie Cake
Cookie cakes look homemade and have a soft but crunchy, sweet, and aromatic taste. If you want to prevent your children from overeating, you can grab a quarter-sheet and let your child enjoy a controlled quantity.
If you plan to buy a cookie cake for your children, you can check out Wegmans cakes prices for different sizes before you head to the bakery. Why Wegmans in particular? Because they use natural ingredients, therefore ensuring that your children will eat a delicious dessert with no unnecessary additives and enjoy a homemade taste.
Moreover, Wegmans sells cookie cakes based on recipes that contain Vitamin A (2%) and Iron (4%). Per customer reviews, the cakes are exceptionally delicious thanks to Wegmans’ custom baking procedure. The cake is slightly underdone in the center to increase its flavor.
#2. Coconut 3-Layer Cake
It may seem that a three-layered cake is a highly sweet and unhealthy dessert. But the Pepperidge Farm coconut cake takes all its ingredients from the healthy and nutritious coconut. The cake also uses a natural icing to give it a soft texture.
You can plate the cake with fresh blackberries to add a bit of freshness to the treat. Moreover, this dessert can also work as a means to introduce your child to forest fruit in an appealing way.
#3. Key Lime Pie
Key Lime Pie is a firm favourite with children and adults alike. The key lime pie made by Edwards contains a vanilla crumb crust you can put fresh whipped cream on. It’s also filled with Key West lime juice that will take you back to your own childhood. Many buyers continuously turn to this pie thanks to its balance between a sweet and tart taste.
And best of all is comes in a 2 slice version, large enough to give everyone a taste and ensure there are no leftovers! Even your picky eaters will enjoy this simple dessert.
3 Quick & Simple Desserts To Make At Home
#1. Cream Cheese Carrot Cupcake
Carrot cake is a dessert that helps you achieve more from a child than you might imagine. Any kid who is a bit resilient to eating vegetables might eliminate carrots from the list. The cupcake is a healthy way to make your children eat veggies and consider the occasion a celebration. Carrot cupcakes are also versatile as they only work for single servings. Here’s how to quickly create a carrot cupcake with cream cheese and brown sugar frosting. You need less than an hour to bake this recipe and a few more minutes to watch your children eat it.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups lightly packed grated carrots
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream or unsweetened applesauce
- Combine dry ingredients together baking powder, baking soda, flour, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat sugar, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl for two minutes.
- Add vanilla, carrots, and sour cream or applesauce.
- Add the ingredients from the small bowl and stir.
- Half fill cupcake liners in pans with mix (to avoid spills as cakes bake)
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F
- Leave to cool before decorating with a mix of cream cheese, powdered sugar & lemon juice combined.
#2. Vanilla Ice Cream
Vanilla is a classic ingredient that children (and adults) adore, second only to chocolate!. Vanilla is creamy and aromatic, and makes even a small-sized dessert intensely sweet. Even though you will need to freeze the ice cream for over two hours, the recipe is quick to prepare:
- Mix four cups of light cream, a can of condensed or regular milk, and two tablespoons of vanilla extract.
- Pour the mix in a frezer container and let it freeze for a few hours.
#3. Fruity Pebble Bars
Children enjoy colourful desserts. Kids love candies and aroma blends, as well as super-chewy cakes. According to a study by Science Daily, children’s preferences for sweets can even be biological. You can explore their favourite ingredients by making colourful sweet meals out of rice cereal.
These pebble bars are crispy, delightful, and unpredictable as you will get a different taste in each bite! You need around 30-minutes to prepare this sweet dessert and one to two hours to allow them to cool.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter and a little extra to grease the pan
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 5 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts or dried fruit
- Butter a large pan.
- Melt butter and six cups of mini-marshmallows over low heat until they leave no lumps in a non-stick large and deep pan.
- Stir in your cereal & fruit/nuts mix
- Pour into the large pan buttered pan
- Spray your hands with nonstick baking spray or butter and press the mixture into the pan.
- Allow to cool until set then cut into slices
- Store leftovers in an airtight container
Eating Simple Desserts with Your Kids
Nobody wants to get their kids addicted to sugar and open the door to a life of unhealthy eating. However, simple desserts can be a lovely treat and add a unique flavour to family lunches or dinners. It is all about balance.
We hope you find inspiration in these ideas and enjoy discovering these simple desserts with your family.