Delicious and easy marinaded chicken wings grilled on the BBQ, it’s the ultimate summer dish. This BBQ chicken wings recipe uses Marmite! Yes Marmite, but before you Marmite-haters say yuk, this way of cooking them allows the yeast extract to intensify the flavour of the meat.
By the time they are cooked you won’t even taste the Marmite and instead you’ll get a “umami” flavour that it lends to the dish. They really are fingerlickin’ good!
Easy BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
If you’re vegetarian, consider using the marinade to flavour some tofu, but only soak for 30 minutes before cooking.
In case of a washout for your BBQ, I’ve also included directions to cook these wings in the oven! You can’t be too prepared for an Irish Summer!
This recipe serves 4.
- 1 tablespoon Marmite
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 10 chicken wings, jointed (you can ask your butcher to do this for you). You can also use chicken legs or mixed wings/legs.
- 1 lemon for squeezing and garnish before serving
- Take a large bowl and pour in the Marmite, soy sauce, black pepper and vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the chicken wings and coat well in the marinade.
- Cover the large bowl and leave to one side for at least 2 hours. I normally prepare BBQ wings in the morning and BBQ in the evening, allowing about 8 hours.
- Give the covered bowl a shake every hour or so to make sure that the wings stay coated well.
- Don’t put these chicken wings on a high heat on the BBQ. If possible cook them on a higher rack for 12 minutes each side. You want a slow, medium heat so that they cook through evenly.
- Always test 1 piece by cutting it open before serving. If in doubt or uncomfortable cooking chicken on a BBQ, then follow the oven instructions below and pop them on the BBQ for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Preheat your (fan) oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F. Place the chicken wings onto a grill rack over a baking tray (your grill pan works perfectly here).
- Make sure that they are not touching each other. If need be, use a second grill rack.
- Once the oven is to temperature, cook in the oven for 25 minutes before serving. 20 minutes if you intend to finish them on the BBQ.
- Just before eating, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.