Bell Inn Smokies are a tasty smoked fish starter that are simple to create and taste delicious. I learned them on a cookery course I did many years ago and they are a firm favourite with both children and adults.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
To make enough for 6 to 8 people as a starter you will need 6 ramekins and the following:
- 1 large fillet of smoked fish (hand dyed haddock works well)
- 2 large tomatoes
- Small tub of cream (whipping or double)
- 150g / 4.5oz Gruyére cheese grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / 160°C fan assisted.
- Skin the fish and cut the fillet into small bite size pieces making sure to remove all bones
- Skin the tomatoes and cute into small bite size pieces (to skin tomatoes simply pierce/slash the skin in a few places with a sharp knife and add to boiled water for 1 minute, remove and the skin should peel away easily)
- Place the uncooked fish into the ramekins and add the tomato pieces on top.
- Cover with the grated cheese
- Add enough cream to each ramekin to cover the fish and tomatoes.
- Place the ramekins on a tray in the over and bake until the cheese melts and the fish is cooked, usually 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot from the over with crusty bread for dipping!
Over to you. Have you tried the recipe yet? Or do you have a quick and tasty fish recipe you could share with us? Let us know in the comments box below