Bell Inn Smokies are a tasty smoked fish starter that are simple to create and taste delicious. I learned them on a cookery course I did many years ago and they are a firm favourite with both children and adults.
To make enough for 6 to 8 people as a starter you will need 6 ramekins and the following:
- 1 large fillet of smoked fish (hand dyed haddock works well)
- 2 large tomatoes
- Small tub of cream (whipping or double)
- 150gms Gruyére cheese grated
- Heat the oven to 180c
- Skin the fish and cut it into small bite size pieces making sure to remove all bones
- Skin the tomatoes and cute into small bite size pieces (to skin tomatoes simple slice the skin in a few places with a sharp knife and add to boiled water for 1 minute, remove and the skin should peel away easily)
- Place the uncooked fish into the ramekins and add the tomato pieces.
- Cover with the grated cheese
- Add enough cream to each ramekin to cover the fish and tomatoes.
- Place the ramekins on a tray in the over and bake until the cheese melts and the fish is cooked, usually 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot from the over with crusty bread for dipping!
Have you tried the recipe yet? Or do you have a quick and tasty fish recipe you could share with us? Let us know in the comments box below