These Breakfast Berry Muffins are great in the lunchbox and keep very well in a sealed dry tin. They also freeze excellently so if you have a baking day and make loads then wait until they are cold then place in a freezer tub or bag. Remove them from the freezer the night before you put them in a lunchbox.
Makes 12 muffins
- 260g plain flour
- 200ml milk (half fat works fine but makes the muffins slightly drier so I use full fat)
- 150g frozen or fresh mixed berries (blueberries on their own work very well with this recipe too)
- 100g caster sugar
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- To decorate the top you will need 2 tablespoons each of light brown sugar and flaked/rolled oats
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 large jug
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 reliable weighing scales
- 1 muffin tray (not bun tray) which holds 12 muffins
- 12 muffin cases
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celcius.
- Line your muffin tray with the 12 cases.
- Place your bowl on top of the scales and weigh all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder & salt) directly into the bowl.
- Replace the bowl with the scales and weigh out the oil and the milk into the jug.
- Add the egg to the jug and mix well with your spoon.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix well with the spoon until you have a batter with no lumps. You can use an electric mixer for this if you like, just this is quicker than taking equipment out!
- Once your batter is made pour in your berries, making sure each is coated with the batter.
- Spoon into each muffin case sharing the mixture equally between each.
- Sprinkle the top with a light dusting of brown sugar (light brown) and some flaked oats.
- Bake in the oven for 35 mins or until golden on top.
- Leave to cool a little before serving as the berries will stay hotter than the muffin and you could burn your mouth.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland
You might also like these 10 Healthy Breakfast Ideas that aren’t Porridge
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below