Are you looking for some traditional Irish recipes for St Patrick’s Day? This Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe is adapted from Irish Traditional Cooking by Darina Allen, and is the perfect St Patrick’s Day dinner.
Sign up for our free monthly newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
If you like potatoes with your corned beef and cabbage, you can add a few small baby potatoes to the simmering pot about 30 minutes before serving.
- 2kg corned brisket of beef
- 450g carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon dry English mustard or brown mustard seeds
- 1 large sprig of fresh thyme and some parsley stalks, tied together
- 1 cabbage
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the brisket into a saucepan with the carrots, onions, mustard and the herbs.
- Cover with cold water and bring gently to a boil. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut in quarters, cut out the core and add to the pot. Cook for a further 1 to 2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.
- Serve the corned beef in slices, surrounded by the vegetables and cooking liquid.
- Serve with crusty bread (rye bread is especially good if you can get it) and freshly made mustard.
Are you a big corned beef fan? How do you cook yours? Tell us in the comments below.