This Meat-Free Spaghetti Bolognese is the first in our new series of Dee's Meat Free Mondays Recipes
Double up the recipe and use as a base for a shepherd’s pie the next day. Serve with salad.
The recipe serves 4-6.
- 2 carrots (small dice)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 stick of celery (diced)
- ¾ cup of green puy lentils (dried)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- Black pepper
- Chopping board
- 2 x large pots one with a lid
- Large colander
- Sharp knife
- Add 1tsp of oil to a pan and sauté the diced carrots, celery and onion for 2 mins.
- Add the garlic and lentils and stir.
- Add the tin of tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes) bay leaf, oregano and black pepper.
- Add vegetable stock until twice the amount of water is in the sauce pan as lentils.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for approx 30 mins.
- The lentils will absorb the water and swell up, keep an eye on the pot as you may need to add in additional water to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- The lentils are done when they are soft to bite through.
- Cook spaghetti according to instruction.
- If you are not on a vegan diet, you might like to serve this dish with soft goats cheese or regular grated cheese on top.
Note: If it is your first time trying lentils it is recommended to drink more water than usual to help the fibre flush toxins out of your body!
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below and join Dee on her Facebook page to comment and share recipes.
Did you like this article? Sign up for our free newsletter (be sure to tick Food!) and join us on facebook and follow us on Twitter