Are you bored cooking the same family dinners over and over? It is easy to get stuck in a rut with family dinners. But help is at hand – Michelle & I have taken to Instagram for our monthly family dinner challenge! We are both given the same 4 or 5 basic ingredients and we have to create a wonderful family dinner. We can add a few store cupboard ingredients. They go on our Instagram stories and are then voted on by you! This month it was a tin of butter beans, a leek, vegetable stock cube and an onion. Here’s my Leek and Butterbean Risotto Recipe:
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
This recipe serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 300g – 400g risotto rice
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 50g parmesan or padano cheese, grated
- Pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in frying pan
- Add the spring onion, carrots and leeks and fry for a couple of minutes over a medium heat
- Then add risotto rice and coat well with oil and butter
- Add stock slowly, cover rice and let it absorb before adding next ladle of stock
- Add the beans after the 2nd ladle and squash them with a masher or wooden spoon.
- Continue to add the stock until the rice has cooked
- Serve with a sprinkling of grated parmesan or padano cheese with black pepper.
Tip: Squashing the butter beans gives the risotto a thick, creamy consistency
Verdict: This recipe got the thumbs up from everyone except my youngest, who is not a big fan of onions or risotto! It will definitely go into the repertoire of family dinners and would be lovely served with grilled chicken or pork chops.
You may also enjoy these recipes from our Family Dinner Challenge:
- Jill’s Cheesy Beef Pasta Bake
- Michelle’s Easy Homemade Meatballs Recipe
- Jill’s One Pot Mexican Chicken Rice
- Michelle’s Tasty Homemade Chicken Curry
Over to you now. Have you tried my leek and butterbean risotto recipe? Please share your thoughts, additions or improvements with us in the comments box below.