Are you bored cooking the same dinners over and over? It is so easy to get stuck in a rut with family dinners, but all you need are a few simple ingredients to try this leek and butter bean risotto recipe – definitely one recipe you’ll want to try!
Don’t miss our best content straight to your inbox! Sign up now and get our FREE newsletters packed with fun ideas and things to do with the kids, family-friendly recipes, expert advice, parenting tips and great competitions.
Risotto always seems like a ‘fancy’ midweek meal, but is a great way to transform whatever leftover veg or ingredients you happen to have in the fridge. There are some great flavour combinations to try, depending on how adventurous you are, and the process of adding stock gradually to plump up those rice grains is actually quite relaxing!
You May Also Enjoy 10 Tempting Vegetarian Pasta Recipes Perfect for Family Dinner
Leek and Butter Bean Risotto Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 350g risotto rice
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 50g parmesan or Gran Padano, grated
- Pepper, to taste
- Heat butter and oil in frying pan.
- Add the spring onion, carrots and leeks and fry for a couple of minutes over a medium heat.
- Then add risotto rice and coat well with oil and butter.
- Add a ladle of stock and let the rice absorb it before adding the next ladle of stock.
- Add the beans after the second ladleful and squash them a bit with a potato masher or wooden spoon.
- Continue to add the stock gradually until the rice has cooked.
- Season with black pepper and serve with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan or Gran Padano.
Tip: Squashing the butter beans gives the risotto a thick, creamy consistency.
Verdict: This recipe got the thumbs up from everyone except my youngest, who is not a big fan of onions or risotto! It will definitely go into the repertoire of family dinners and would be lovely served alongside grilled chicken or pork chops.
You May Also Enjoy 11 of the Best Vegetarian Recipes for a Meatless Monday