This delicious Fattoush Salad will serve 2 hungry adults at lunch. You can make it up to 4 hours in advance, personally I prefer to eat it freshly dressed and crunchy. If you have toasted seeds to add to the salad, do!
The recipe serves 2 adults.
- 2 slices of stale, day-old bread (or as I’ve used here a piece of stale, french stick, sliced)
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1/2 butterhead lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1 red apple
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon of tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 boiled egg
- Vegetable Peeler
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Large Bowl
- Small cup or dish
- Wash and dry all your fruit and vegetables.
- Peel and grate the carrot into the bottom of the large bowl.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Chop the cucumber into chunks but slice off the wet, seeds before chopping and discard. They are too watery for this salad.
- Tear the lettuce into chunks.
- Drizzle the slices of bread with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and grill until golden brown.
- Set to one side to cool slightly. Once cool break the bread in your hands if you like to turn it into small croutons.
- Slice the onion into strips, not too big, about the length of your baby finger.
- Core and chop the apple into chunks, leaving the skin on for texture.
- In the small cup combine the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, tahini and wholegrain mustard.
- Put all the ingredients into the large bowl, including the liquid dressing.
- Using your (clean!) hands turn over the salad ingredients until they are well coated with dressing then serve.
- Season to taste if you wish.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below
Did you like this article? Sign up for our free newsletter (be sure to tick Food!) and join us on facebook and follow us on Twitter