This month sees the first spring cauliflower and this recipe for Cauliflower Cheese with Salmon from James Martin celebrates it in a big gooey, melty, delicious dish.
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 450ml milk
- 2 organic egg yolks
- 1 tsp English mustard
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 150g cooked flaked salmon
- 125g cheddar cheese and 75g emmental cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200C. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the cauliflower and cook for two minutes. Drain and place in a buttered ovenproof dish.
- Place the butter and flour into a saucepan and heat to melt the butter. Cook, stirring for one to two minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to form a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and simmer for two to three minutes.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and flake the salmon into the sauce, stirring carefully.
- Pour over the cauliflower and top with the grated cheeses. Place in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Have you tried this recipe? What did you think?