For food that kids can eat in their hands, that’s great for parties and dips and for simplicity you can’t beat this recipe for homemade chicken nuggets.
These are a staple on our menu, I cook them about once a fortnight. Wonderfully crispy on the outside and melting on the inside, proper homemade chicken nuggets just don’t compare to the majority of shop bought versions.
By cutting a chicken breast into strips and soaking these in milk for about an hour before cooking, tenderises the meat. Milk is fantastic for tenderising and cleansing most meats actually.
- Chicken breast, cut into strips
- Milk for soaking chicken
- Flour (seasoned/not)
1. Once you’re ready to cook, it’s just a case of setting yourself up with 3 dishes:
- Seasoned flour (unseasoned if cooking for kids)
- Stale Breadcrumbs
2. You move the chicken strips through each dish in the order they’re listed above before pan frying in a little sunflower oil for colour.
3. Note, this will not cook the meat through so once coloured, you put the nuggets into the oven at 180 degrees celcius for 15 minutes to ensure they are cooked.
Related : Fake Tinned Spaghetti & Vanilla Cake. Also see 10 Tips for Stress-Free Cooking with Kids.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below
Like this article? Sign up for our free monthly newsletters. Follow us on facebook and Twitter, Instagram & Pinterest.