Another birthday cake idea in our Kids Cake Ideas series, this Mermaid Cake, made by Jill for her 6 year old daughter, is sure to be a hit. If you are looking for girls birthday cake ideas that are a bit different, why not give this a go.
I adapted this Mermaid cake idea from 30 Minute Kids’ Cakes: Decorate Kids’ Cakes in 30 Minutes or Less by Sara Lewis published by Bounty Books. The great thing is you can start with two bought cakes which makes it much quicker to make (although of course you can bake the cakes yourself too).
- 2 bought angel or plain madeira cakes (275g/9 oz in size)
- 125g/4oz butter (room temp)
- 250g/8 oz icing sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- Red food colouring
- 125g/4 oz Ready to roll icing in pink
- 375g/12 oz Ready to roll icing in blue, green or turquoise
- 1 tube each of yellow, black and red writing icing
1. First, make the butter icing. Put the butter in a bowl and gradually beat in the sifted icing sugar and milk with a wooden spoon or electric whisk (or in food processor). Add one or two drops of red food colouring to make pink icing.
2. Lay one of the cakes on its side on a chopping board. Cut it in half crossways, then shape one piece into an oval for the head. To make the other half into the body, cutting triangular slices off the base for the waist and round the top corners for shoulders.
3. Lay the 2nd cake on its side and cut off the right hand corner. Position the large piece at an angle to the body to make a tail then arrange the trimmed off pieces at the end fo the tail to curve round slightly. Place the pieces onto your cake board or serving board.
4. Spread the top and sides of the mermaid including all tail pieces with the butter icing.
5. Knead the turquoise icing and shape a piece into a Y for the tail and position at the end of the cake tail. Roll out the rest of the turquoise icing on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar or cornflour and use a 2.5cm/1 in round cutter to stamp out circles. Start at the base of the tail and work upwards, arranging the circles in an overlapping pattern over the tail.
6. Make the bikini from 2 circle pieces with little straps cut out. Roll out a nose from the pink ready to roll icing. Shape some arms and stick one arm by the side and one across the body.
7. Pipe yellow hair (or colour of birthday child!) and add 2 black eyes and a red mouth.
8. Decorate cake board with seashells.
Related: Lots more Birthday Cake ideas here
Have you made a similar cake before? Let us know in the comments below