Continuing our series of Kids Cake Ideas, Katherine, mum of 2, created the ultimate Princess Cake for her daughter. If you are looking for birthday cake ideas for girls this will definitely go down a treat!
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
- Soften the butter in microwave, then whisk the sugar in, then add the flour and egg mix alternately plus the vanilla extract.
- Grease 2 circular pyrex dishes of two slightly different sizes, with sloped sides and place the mixture into them & bake in the oven for approx 25 mins. Place them on a wire rack to cool.
- When cool place one cake on top of the other, with some stawberries and cream in between. With the smaller cake on top it makes the dress shape with sloping sides down like a dress would have.
- 1 large carton of cream
- Packet of Strawberry jelly
- Wafer flowers
- 1 Barbie type doll, legs removed…
- Whisk the cream.
- Melt the strawberry jelly in the microwave and let it cool slightly, then whisk this into the whipped cream.
- Put the cream/jelly mix into the fridge to cool a little bit but be careful. Watch as you need it set enough to stay in shape when you apply it to the sponges, yet not so runny that it slips off. But if you let it set too much, it won’t spread!
- Apply the mix quite roughly all over the double sponge. Stick the flowers over her dress (keeping 1 back for her hair) and then leave in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
- Sellotape a skewer against the legless Barbie (put a nice top on her!) and stick the skewer into the top of the sponges.
- Stick the final flower in her hair and voila, a princess!
Related : Lots more Birthday Cake ideas here
Have you made a similar cake before? Let us know in the comments below