This Pea & Mint Soup is one of my favourite soups as it’s so quick to make and I always have a bag of peas in the freezer so it doesn’t require a trip to the shop. Ideal for flasks, for children going to school or adults going to work.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
Serves 6 – 8
- 2 slices of bacon, trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
- ½ oz/15g butter
- 2 medium spring onions, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs /675g fresh or frozen peas
- A sprig of mint
- 1 ½ pints/900mls of chicken stock, preferably homemade
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A pinch of sugar
Garnish with a little chopped fresh mint. Some cream drizzled on is optional.
- Melt the butter and sweat the bacon for five minutes, then add the spring onion and cook for a further minute or two.
- Add the peas, mint and stock, season with the salt, pepper and sugar and cook for 5 minutes.
- Once the peas are tender the soup is ready to be liquidized. Liquidize and return to the saucepan to re-heat, be careful not to boil the soup as you’ll lose the colour.
- For best colour and flavour serve immediately, garnished with the fresh mint, the optional cream and some good bread.
Did you try this pea and mint soup recipe? Let us know in the comments below.