With just 10 minutes needed to get this tasty dinner ready, you can leave it cooking to fill the house with the most delicious smells! My recipe for Simple Beef Curry is delicious and suitable for the whole family.
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers. PS Did we mention it’s free?
You can never have too many curry recipes, am I right? This is a classic, fruity and sweet beef curry recipe that I have been making for years.
I use stewing beef and cut the fat off myself because you get bigger cuts and it’s better value. The curry is cooked for three and a half hours, so all the tissue breaks down, making it melt-in-the-mouth and really tender when it’s time to serve up.
I’m a huge advocate of getting the kids into the kitchen to cook – it gives them self-confidence and a sense of worth. There will always be little jobs for them to do. I know it’s not always possible because life is so hectic, but cooking is a great way of getting them away from the screen and gives you a bit of bonding time together (it does get messy though!).
Some of my daughter Lil’s favourite jobs are peeling the garlic, chopping mushrooms with a blunt knife and flouring the beef (she is so particular about flouring it, making sure every inch is covered!) – and you know what? She really enjoys eating it that little bit more when she’s helped – it’s like she worked extra hard for it.
You May Also Enjoy Sweet Potato Porky Pie Recipe – A Classic With a Twist!
My Recipe for Simple Beef Curry
- 500g stewing beef, fat cut off
- 1 tbsp flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 pint of beef stock made from one stock cube
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Chopped coriander, to garnish (optional)
- You will need a pan with a lid.
- Toss the beef in the seasoned flour
- Heat some oil in a pan on a medium heat.
- Add the floured beef to the pan. Once browned, remove and leave to one side.
- Now fry the onions and garlic for two minutes, until they are lightly golden – you may need another splash of oil.
- Sprinkle over the curry powder and the turmeric, then cook for one minute.
- Return the beef to the pan.
- Chuck in the mango chutney, beef stock and the tomato puree, and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat right down, cover with the lid and simmer for three and a half hours.
- Serve with rice and flatbreads, and garnish with coriander (optional).
One Yummy Mummy: Family Food Made Easy by Jolene Cox is published by Orpen Press, priced €20 and available now from all good bookshops and online at www.orpenpress.com
You May Also Enjoy 10 Super Cheap Dinner Recipes Perfect For Rumbly Tummies
Will you be adding Simple Beef Curry to your family dinner rota? Leave a comment below and let us know – we’d love to hear from you!