This Summer Pea Salad can be made with either fresh peas or frozen peas.
Peas are at the height of their season at the moment. This summer pea salad however doesn’t need to be made with freshly shucked peas. It does taste better with them as the raw peas take on a slighty nutty flavour when they’re podded straight into the bowl.
- Start with either a load of frozen peas, or fresh peas from the pod.
- The beauty of frozen peas is that you don’t have to heat them. Providing you’ve stored them correctly in the freezer all you need to do is to take them out about 30 minutes before you want to eat them OR you could boil a kettle of water and quickly immerse the frozen peas for only 30 seconds (then drain) to revive them straight from the icebox.
- I peel a small carrot and shred it straight into the bowl with the peas, add some toasted sesame seeds, a squeeze of lemon juice and you have a fresh, vegan, pea salad. You may need a dash of soy sauce or a sprinkle of sea salt to lift the flavours.
- Alternatively you could do as I did tonight and crumble a piece of bacon into the bowl which adds a wonderful salty note and bite.
- Good salads for me aren’t always about an oily dressing and that’s certainly true here. The only liquid I add is the lemon juice; less is more.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below