This Warming Chickpea Stew uses minced meat, and is cheap to make, and packed full of flavour.
Serves 8 – eat half, freeze half
- 1/2 lb of minced meat (I used beef)
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ground dried paprika, cumin, coriander, black pepper
- 450g tin of tomatoes (or 350g passata)
- 450g tin of chickpeas, strained (works out at about 300g chickpea weight)
- 250g frozen sweetcorn
- Take a large heavy bottomed saucepan or deep frying pan and heat on high until smoking. Fry off the minced beef with no oil (if you’re using chicken or turkey mince use a small amount of sunflower oil). Make sure you get the chunks of minced beef golden brown and crispy.
- When all the meat has coloured, add the dried spices and coat the meat in the frying pan. Stir well for 3 minutes so that the aromas are released into the air.
- Pour in the tin of tomatoes and the chickpeas, finally add the sweetcorn.
- Turn down the heat and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Cover pan firmly and cook for 30 minutes before serving.
- I used bread, but steamed rice or boiled potatoes works just as well.
- Remember I’ve not added salt to this dish, so you may like to season your meal before eating.
This recipe, and more, is available on Wholesome Ireland.
If you have tried this recipe let us know what you thought of it in the comments below