We all wanted to be a magician at some stage in our lives. While most of us did not attain the super stardom we once hoped for, we certainly enjoyed doing cool card tricks on our friends and family. From Queens on top, to mind reading brilliance, here are 8 Easy Card Tricks for Kids to Delight and Amaze and help keep the dream alive for the next generation!
Card Trick Tips
Before you start performing card tricks, it’s worth learning a few of the basics to make you look more like a pro.
- Make sure to practice all cards tricks in the mirror before you begin.
- Learn to count in silence, without moving your lips.
- Add a bit of drama to your shows by pausing and using ‘magic language’.
- And remember, don’t tell the audience how it is done..keep them guessing.
We have created a free download of the 8 easy card tricks featured that you can print for your child.
All tricks require one regular pack of playing cards.
#1. Mind Reading
- Before you begin the trick and out of sight of your spectators, count out 25 cards.
- When you come to present your trick, place these 25 cards on top of the pile and hold the cards slightly apart so you know where they end.
- Split the pack of cards into two piles at the point where the split is.
- Place the 25 cards face down on the table and ask a spectator to choose one card from the remaining cards in your hand.
- Get them to show it to the rest of the audience and to memorise it.
- Ask them to place it back on top of the pack you are holding and add back your 25 cards from the table.
- Start dealing the cards face up and silently count to 26.
- Ta Dah! This will be the spectators card.
#2. Is This Your Card?
- This trick is done by splitting an ordinary deck of cards into suits ahead of doing the trick. Hearts and spades for pile one, and diamonds and clubs for pile two.
- Do this in advance of your audience arriving.
- You can place the deck back together before the trick, but be sure to know where both piles start and end.
- When the spectators arrive, split the deck into the pre-arranged piles and place them face down on the table.
- Ask a spectator to choose one of the piles and shuffle the cards in that pile.
- Placing them back on the table face down, ask them to choose a card from the pile they have shuffled.
- Once they have memorised the card ask them to place it back into the other pile and let them shuffle the cards in that pile too.
- Pick up the pile and start to look through them. You will immediately see the odd card out but pause for dramatic effect or look like your are studying the cards intently.
- Hold it up to the audience and ask the spectator to confirm that it is their card!
#3. Easy Card Trick Tutorial
You have to be able to spell to do this trick. You pretend you can’t find the card the spectator has picked so you have to ask them what card it was. But with some simple counting and spelling tricks you can wow them when you spell out the name of their card and it appears as the final card.
You may also like – 15 Fun Card Games for Kids
#4. Slight of Hand
- Using a full deck of cards, shuffle them and ask a spectator to pick a card.
- Get them to split the deck and place the card face down on top of the pile.
- The secret to this trick is to remember the card before theirs’ so quickly look at it before putting the pile back together.
- To add to the effect, you could carefully shuffle the pack, making sure to stay away from the area where you placed the card.
- Then deal the cards out one by one, pausing every now and then to make it look like you are thinking.
- You will finally reach the card before the one the spectator placed back in the pack and you will know that their card is next in the pile!
- You could even go past and then come back to it to make them think you have not found it.
You may also like – 10 New Card Games recommended by The Board Guys
#6. Four Queens on Top
- Keep these eight cards in your hand.
- When your audience arrives hold the cards up showing only the first Queen and say these are the Queens and they are going to their castles.
- Place the eight cards on top of the deck face down and say this is the first Queen and she is going to Windsor Castle.
- Place this card, which your spectators think is the Queen, in a random place in the deck, this will of course not be the queen card but one of the random four you had hidden behind them.
- Do the same with the following three cards.
- When all the random cards have been placed in the pack say to your audience, the queens are rushing back for a Royal Ball!
- Wave your hands above the deck and tap it hard on the table.
- And amaze your spectators when the first four cards you lift from the deck are the four Queens.
#7. 11 Card Trick
For this trick you need a regular deck of cards. Remove one ace to represent the number 1, one joker, so you know if they have not moved any cards, and one of each card number up to 10. It doesn’t matter what suit you choose but you should now have eleven cards.
- Lay them out face down, from left to right, in this order – 6, 5 ,4, 3, 2, Ace, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7.
- Ask a spectator to move cards, one at a time, from right to left.
- Say they moved five cards, then the new set up would be – 8, 9, 10, Jack, Ace, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.
- If you start at the left and silently count seven cards in, turning over the 7th card, this card will be the amount of cards they moved over.
- If they do not move any cards over the 7th card will be the joker so you will know that no cards have been moved.
- Move the cards back in order to do the trick again. It will work every time!
#8. Three Card Prediction Trick
This is a great trick for your grand finale! Predict not one, not two, but three cards chosen at random by your audience. Watch below to see how it is done .
Do you know any simple card tricks for kids to learn? Please share them in the comments box below .