Looking for free things to do with kids? Why not try out our Alphabet Hunt? Armed with a digital camera or use the camera function on your phone, the idea of The Alphabet Hunt is to try to find the letters of the alphabet when you are out and about with the kids.
- First make a list of letters to keep track of the ones that you find.
- Obviously you can find letters on road signs, businesses and even painted on the road, but try to find shapes first of all that look like letters. So for example, branches of trees or cracks in the pavement that look like different letters.
- Try different locations for your hunt, the park or in town, for example. Try looking downwards to see what is on the ground then focus upwards to see what you can find in electricity wires, roofs, etc.
- Don’t forget, sometimes a different perspective can yield a letter, looking at things from different angles and different heights.
- You don’t have to limit yourself to just one version of a letter, perhaps it’s easier to spot as many different versions of a letter as you can.
- As a variation on the hunt, you could ask your child to spot the letters making up their name as they hunt.
When you have collected your letters in photo format, you could either make up an Alphabet book by sticking printed versions of the photos on different pages or why not frame the letters of your child’s name for a fun decorative idea for their room?
Tell us how you get on with your own Alphabet Hunt by leaving a comment in the box below!