Hot air balloons can really capture a small child’s imagination – not only are they super colourful, but you get to travel in a basket attached to every child’s favourite item, a balloon! So if you’re looking for some craft activities to occupy your kids, let them take an unforgettable trip and go Up, Up & Away With This Fun Hot Air Balloon Craft!
You Will Need:
- Colouring materials
- Small basket or box
1. Decide how many balloons you’d like to make. Download and print the templates from the list below. You can choose between the black and white (which you can colour in yourself) or the coloured version of the activity. There are three front and three back sheets, in either coloured or black and white, to make three different balloons in total.
- Balloon 1 Coloured – Back & Front
- Balloon 2 Coloured – Back & Front
- Balloon 3 Coloured – Back & Front
- Balloon 1 Black & White – Back & Front
- Balloon 2 Black & White – Back & Front
- Balloon 3 Black & White – Back & Front
2. If you choose the black and white option, then colour the balloons before cutting them out, as it is much easier. Choose your favourite colours and make each balloon different. Why not look at some images of real hot air balloons online to get inspiration.
3. Cut out the balloons.
4. Prepare a small box or basket (choose the size so that you can actually put a real toy inside to go on the trip), and attach short pieces of string to all four corners.
5. Glue both sides (front and back) of each balloon together putting the ends of strings attached to the box or basket in between.
6. Choose who goes into which balloon. You can use small stuffed animals, people from Duplo, or even cut out paper body shapes and colour them to make them look like members of your family.
Now decide where do you want to go? Do you want to fly over a jungle, or the sea? Or maybe you’d like to visit the North Pole? Don’t forget to wear a warm scarf!
Off you go on a wonderful adventure!
Over to you! Have you tried this craft with the kids or have you any balloon crafts to share? Let us know in the comments below.