In our series of fun science experiments for kids to try at home, you can grow your own Stalagmites and Stalactites!
Sign up for our free Newsletter stuffed full of ideas, competitions and offers.
PS Did we mention it’s free?
This science experiment for kids is a really fun one to try as they get to see stalagmites and stalactites form.
What you’ll need:
- Two jars or glasses
- Epsom salts
How to Conduct the Stalactite and Stalagmite Experiment
- Fill two jars with warm water. Mix in Epsom salts until no more will dissolve.
- Wet the string and tie a weight to each end (we used 1 cent coins wrapped in cling film).
- Drop one end of the string into each jar.
- Put a plate between the two jars, with the string hanging over the plate.
- Check at least once a day to see if stalactites and stalagmites have formed.
You might also enjoy reading 7 Simple Experiments to Get Kids Excited About Science
How do you know which are Stalactites and which are Stalagmites?
Stalactites – Hold on TIGHT (they hang down)
The MIGHTY Stalagmites stand up tall
Over to you now. Did you try growing stalactites (and stalagmites)? How did it go? Tell us in the comments below!